Topic

Appealing Apparel (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Appealing Apparel (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Rab Vapor-Rise Lite Sounds perfect… except it doesn't doesn't has a hood :-( Are the arms extra wide? One of the nice things about the standard Vapor-Rise is that you can push the arms up over the elbows to added cooling without a trouble.

Any sense how down proof the shell on the new Flash Jacket is? I know that ultralight fabrics aren't 100% downproof. I am used to pulling feathers back into my gear. The early version of the Flash Vest was far more prone to losing feather than anything I have ever used.

–Mark

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Nothing about Patagonia Wool 1?

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Guys-

@David
    > WM didn't have an XL for me to weigh, but I'd estimate the weight for that size to be in the 11 ounce range.

@Mark
    > Yah, The new Vapor-Rise Lite would be near-perfect with a hood… I haven't used an original VR smock for several years, so sorry, but memory fades and I can't really compare the arm designs. The VRL arms were quite long with thumb loops, though. :)

WM uses a 20d microfiber for the Flash Jacket. I didn't see any down poking through the sample, but it is a pretty light (though very nice) shell.

@Tom
    > I did meet with Patagonia. They didn't convey any new information on their Wool 1 line. Try a forum search, IIRC somebody is discussing it here on BPL.

Cheers,

-Mike

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Mike,
    I know Wool 1 is being mentioned in another thread but besides of the fact that it is a merino/polyester blend, veri little info is available. I had hoped to get some details about the precise composition and weight of the stuff.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Does Etowah also have plans for a hooded version?

Luke Winstrom

@luke

Any idea how the ColdBlack is supposed to work?

I always thought that the reason black clothing got hot was not because it absorbed non-visible light but because it absorbed visible light, which is the dominant energy component of sunlight. If it's still black, I would have thought it would still be picking up all the visible photons…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Any idea how the ColdBlack is supposed to work?

I think you have to have a degree in marketing spin to explain this one properly…

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_radiation

About half of incoming solar energy is outside the visible spectrum.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Is it true that some Bedouin desert tribes people wear black wool in the hot sun, and if so, why do they do it?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Robert,

A black Bedouin robe will absorb 2-1/2 times more solar radiation than a white robe. The surface of the black robe will be approximately 6 degrees C (11 degrees F.) hotter than the surface of the white robe. By contrast, the amount of heat gained by a Bedouin’s body is the SAME whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe is lost by convection before it reaches the skin.

Black clothing absorbs the most heat, but if it is a loose-fitting robe and there is sufficient convection from the wind and/or the billowing action from the robe’s shape and/or natural convection from the robe’s looseness then the additional heat absorbed from the sunlight will be dissipated without a rise in body temperature.

An UL backpacker’s body clothed in his black Merino wool closely fitting base layer will be warmer than another UL backpacker with clothed in his white Merino wool closely fitting base layer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools