Topic

Better Bags (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Better Bags (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

The men's regular REI Halo bags are 59 shoulder/55 hip/36 foot girth (inches).

The regular length MH Ultralamina 15 degree bag is 60 inches shoulder girth, 38 inches foot girth. (I don't have specs on the new zero degree version)

Both these are manufacturer's claimed measurements.

-Mike

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>The Halo bags will feature 750-fill down, and will incorporate EN 13537 standards in their temperature ratings.

Kudos to REI. Hopefully, this move by a retail giant will encourage other US brands to adopt the EN 13537 standard,

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

ValandrĂ© is very popular here in Japan and I would long ago have bought one of their bags, due to exceptional quality (definitely on par with Western Mountaineering) and the best fitting I have ever seen in a bag. THe only thing that kept me from buying them here in Japan was pricing (japanese pricing is insane)… average $800.00 is a little out of my price range…

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

FYI, Valandre' has recently adjusted their prices (down) on their most popular bags in order to be in line with the top competitors. The retailers chose to cut their margins so that Valandre' retail prices on the products would be attractive in the U.S. market.

So that I am in compliance with the BPL guidelines, Yes, I am affiliated with Valandre' and am an authorized retailer for their gear.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

I think the Valandre bags are very well made, but tried both the Mirage and the Shocking Blue and decided not to get them, for the following reason– in the torso area it seemed that they were sized to allow one to wear a fairly thick down jacket without compressing the down in either the jacket or the bag. But without the jacket, it felt as if there were too much air in the bag, which would need to be warmed, and, as one moved during the night, would be a medium for carrying off heat whenever it puffed out of the bag.

YMMV, of course, but one should check the fit. In the same weight class as the Mirage, I prefer a NF Beeline I bought several years ago, which is cut narrower and hence warmer–and uses Pertex Quantum. It was also quite reasonable, bought in an outlet store.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

First picture of the Bloody Mary on the Valandré website.
    http://www.valandre.com/us/bags/bloodymary.htm
    Not too much further details currently.

Stephen Klassen

@steveyk

Mountain Hardware (Canadian) site has some info up.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/en-CA/Product.aspx?top=1693&prod=3432&cat=1745&viewAll=False

Showing more like 60 oz rather than 53.

If anyone has one, can you let me know how much your's weighs, and how it has perfomed.

Thanx

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools