Topic

New External Frame – MYOG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New External Frame – MYOG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Eric Fitz

@pounce

Have you thought about making a mold of your lower back and hips that you could then use to form a fiberglass/carbon fiber/heat formed plastic hip belt or harness? What I am thinking is that if you can make a hard cast of yourself you could make a form fitting belt and possibly eliminate a lot of padding.

Having a torso mold would make sizing packs easier I would imagine.

There are lots of life casting tutorials on the net.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already elsewhere.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Eric,
    Those were pretty much along the lines of what I had planned. I have casting plaster coming in to form the mold and then plan on trying to make the tooling off that.

Hope to post some good photos soon!

Kevin

Eric Fitz

@pounce

Kevin, Very cool. Cant wait to see how it comes together.

Ever since I had a computer body scan at Brooks Brothers in NY and saw my body in wireframe 3D I've been thinking about how many different ways you can put this to use.

For a business I was considering taking 3D body scans and cutting them from foam using 3 axis CNC and then coating them with polyurea to give them a hard surface. How cool would it be to have a human form for custom clothing and gear? I think cool, but I'm into the tech side of it.

With a good form you could vacuum form a piece of plastic very easily to produce a secondary form that could be sent a custom pack builder or otherwise.

Some of my thoughts around using a form like this come from watching my sister build prosthetics and body braces for injuries etc. I've seen people who have a hard plastic torso brace that makes them look like a human hard suitcase. clasps and all.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Casting material JUST came in BUT I wouldn't have to make a mold off my body IF I had a foam back/torso !!! If only they existed. I'm sure making them wouldn't be cheap either!
    I'm going more for the generic approach as I plan on doing at least a 1.0" offset to the mold to try and make it fit more bodies and give some room for the "air pad" as Bill states. If I can make the shape close enough to form fitting, I'm thinking you could use a lot less padding as you shouldn't have as many hot spots? We will see ??

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I was going to say use plastering strips to make a mold, reinforce it, and use expanding foam sealant to cast 2 halves?

One small problem is that your body is in a different position without a pack, especially if laying down to make the molds.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools