Topic

Advice for a foreigner!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Advice for a foreigner!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben Balcombe

@chiefsilverback

I'm over from the UK for a couple of weeks and I'll be heading up to the White Mountains for the weekend.

Not having any idea about the brands etc… over here can anyone recommend/warn me off any particular brand of backpacking food?

I was in the Cranston, RI REI today and they seem to have quite a large selection of Backpackers Pantry, any particular flavour recommendations?

Also, out of interest, most of the meals I saw say 'serves 2' but is this true, or are they just right for one person after a good day's hiking?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Most serve 1 in true terms – a big 1 serving though. If you can, bring some olive oil to drizzle in for fat.

If you have to buy commercial I recommend Mary Janes! Many REI's carry them.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Mary Jane's, Mountain House and Alpine Aire all have some great meals.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Mary Jane's sells organic and reasonably healthy stuff compared to the other two.
    I think the MH/AA could be beat out by some careful shopping at the local grocery.
    Also, the Backpackers Pantry dinner pouches I've seen are usually twice as big as they should be and require cutting the bag shorter, using a long spoon, or cleaning food from your knuckles when you're done eating.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Don't forget the knife with Backpackers Pantry – they are tall! I agree, if you use them, whack off the top.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Hi Ben,
    I'd stay away from Backpackers Pantry. Mary Jane's farm is much better. My favorites dinners in order of preference are:
    Organic Black Bean Flakes
    Organic Wild Forest Mushroom Couscous
    Organic Kettle Chili Soup
    ChiliMac
    For breakfast I like either Outrageous Outback Oatmeal or the Organic Hot & Creamy Cereal (not as sweet as the Outrageous Outback Oatmeal)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Also…if in a grocery store the Dr. McDougall's cups are good for breakfast (a cup will fill you up!). They make a great barley oatmeal full of freeze dried fruit. Often sold in the "organic section" in big stores. They also make some very good soup cups as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools