Topic

USGS Map Locator

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique USGS Map Locator

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Here is another way (in addition to libremaps.org) to get free topo maps. At the USGS store, click on Map Locator (four products down) and follow the directions on the right side of the page. It will allow you to download free quadrangles in high resolution pdf.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

That is a good one. Thank you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi John,
    I just tried to access the USGS store and got a Code 403 Access Denied(You do not have access to this resource) message. Any ideas, or maybe I'm on the cyber equivalent of the "NO FLY" list? Ay Carramba!!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Tom, it could be that someone who previously leased the IP you now have from your ISP got it banned at the site.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

On my mac os 10.3.9 with firefox 2.0, it won't redirect properly so I get an error, but when trying again it goes through. This happens everytime so far. My work Windows pc has no problem.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

You have to enable third party cookies when using firefox.

Anonymous
    Inactive

John,
    I'm puzzled then, because I'm on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and use Internet Explorer. Go figure. My darker angels say it's Homeland Security…Now I'm getting paranoid, because I'm supposed to fly down to California for a backpacking trip next week. Gulp.
    Chris,
    How would I go about finding out if that is the case? My ISP is AOL.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

This site has always worked well for me both at home on Windows service pack 3 with Internet Explorer 7 and at work on whatever windows antequated stuff the administator will allow.

BTW, the add-on toolbar, GeoPDF, is worthwhile. It will give you coordinates in any immaginable system you select and you can measure distance and area in any units, etc.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

There are other resources through which to access the USGS Digital Map Store. Try this one:

http://usgs01.srv.mst.edu/store3/digital_download/mapping_ap.jsp

If you're bored and want to look at some other mapping resources I have a small collection of links at del.icio.us:

http://delicious.com/sharaldson/maps

I'd welcome suggestions – perhaps since I provided response to the original reason for the thread I could poach it and ask for links to other mapping resources.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Works like a charm, Sam. Many thanks.
    Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools