Topic

Box quilting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Box quilting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Does anyone know how to make baffled box quilts? I have one on my bed, and my WM POD30 also has this construction but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to do an MYOG using this construction. Anyone here know how it's done?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Allison- So weird you posted this. I was just trying to figure out the same thing last night… no brilliant ideas yet.
    Brad

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

aren't the WM bags baffled horizontally and sewn through vertically? Isn't that what the box baffle is? IF there is a way to baffle the whole thing that would be a bunch of work, unless i just don't get it

-Tim

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Allison,
    I assume you mean box baffles that extend across the full width of the quilt. There is good info on this if you search this forum and also at several suppliers' sites – with illustrations (thruhiker, sixmoons, etc.

To give you a quick idea, you simply cut rectangles of the fabric you plan to use as the baffles – such as UL noseeum netting – as wide as the shell fabric. Stitch these at intervals to one shell, first. Then start at one end and stitch them to the other shell, one after the other. For bomb-proof, snag-proof seams, fold the shell fabric so the stitching is all on the inside.

If you mean baffles that interrupt the down channels, you are talking another order of difficulty. Do-able, but of questionable utility.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>If you mean baffles that interrupt the down channels, you are talking another order of difficulty. Do-able, but of questionable utility.

Yes, that's what I mean. I am very impressed with the level down control I am getting with both my home quilt and my WM POD 30. When I look t the stitching on both of these items, it is straight and un-interrupted in both directions, and on top and bottom. I just can't figure out how they do it.

Here is a Feathered Friends link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/beddingproductdetails.aspx?ProductID=17&CatID=3&ProductName=Box%20Baffle%20Arctic&SubCatID=30

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I don't know how they'd do it in a factory, but this should do the trick:

1) Stitch baffling to one shell. For cross baffles just stitch right over the existing.

2) Where the baffles cross, slit the baffle material that runs across the narrowest dimension. (ie, if it's 60×80, make the slits on the 60 baffles.)

3) Overlay the other shell, stitch down along one (80) side.

4) Stitch the distance of one (60) baffle segment on the (60) edge.

5) Stitch in one (60) baffle segment deep all along the (80) length.

6) Stuff the one-baffle-segments with down.

7) Stitch in the (80) baffle along its full length.

8) Repeat.

And good luck!

(PS- Any word on the cuben quilt?)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools