Topic

Corn & Lentil Salad – For Kathleen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Corn & Lentil Salad – For Kathleen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Look, no shroomies! lol

Corn and Lentil Salad

1/4 cup (cooked) dried lentils
    1/4 cup dried corn
    1/2 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bullion
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 packet True Orange©
    salt and pepper to taste

At home: combine all of the ingredients in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add 1/2 cup water and allow to rehydrate before eating.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Oooh, I'm eating this as I type. Great recipe! No adjustments needed. And it's not just for Kathleen, folks!
    Of course, I'm also eating a whole avocado and a piece of chocolate cake with it, so my experience on the trail will be a little different. Thanks again, Dicentra!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I'm glad you like it!!

Doesn't everyone eat avocadoes and chocolate cake on the trail? I do! lol.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

ok,dicentra. salad sounds good, but what the heck is true orange. never heard of it. of course, we are limited up here in the frozen tundra to specialty items……

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You can find it many grocery stores next to True Lemon and Lime powders. It is often sold in the baking aisle or near the sugar. Cool stuff!

Minimus.biz and packitgourmet.com also carry it :-)

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

It is basically dried juice.

You can get it right from their site too. http://www.truelemon.com

Someone recently mentioned that they found it with the powdered beverages. I've never seen it there (always the baking aisle) but it can't hurt to look.

ETA: You can substitute orange zest or a little orange juice for the True Orange. :)

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

thanks, sarah and dicentra. i will have to order it over internet. i've never seen it up here..

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

That's news to me too. Sounds good though. Does it mix well to make OJ on the trail? Maybe mix True Lemon with some fresh ground peppercorns for some backcountry lemon pepper trout? Yum. I'll be looking for it too.

Store locator and free samples!
    http://www.truelemon.com/sample.html

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

if you can't find True Lemon, Orange or Lime and you have a dehydrator you can simply dry the citrus zest for your meals.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Dang. I never even considered that. I even have a lemon "zester" or whatever it's called… and a dehydrator.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I make Lemonade and Limeade often with the True products – I disagree with using zest instead – the powdered True is different overall. While it can be used in certain things the same as zest, it does so much more! The Orange one is really good added to iced tea. Yum!

I love it so much I often use it instead of fresh lemons when baking and cooking – no waste and no buying $1-2 lemons in off season! They also sell it in large shakers that equal 15 lemons or so. Good buy!

The True powders for lime and lemon can be reconstituted with water to make lemon and lime juice. Zest you cannot.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Christopher – the zest works really nicely with some cracked pepper for fish. Sometimes I will add a little grapefruit zest to change the flavor up.

Most of my meals are precooked at home and dried. The zest is great to add to trail salads and such where I don't really need the juice.

A little lime zest in freshly filtered water is really nice too and it gives just the nicest hint of citrus.

If you need juice though, True products are the way to go as Sarah has said.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I make a mean trailgarita using the True Lime! :D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools