Topic

Suggestions for Hikes in New York.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Suggestions for Hikes in New York.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

I just moved to NYC, and can't see the mountains anywhere… I am looking for a hike to do this weekend anywhere from 20-40 miles as an overnighter or day hike.
    I also don't have a car and was wondering if there was any way to get to the mountains via train or shuttle. Also, can people recommend some outdoor stores that I should check out.
    Thanks

P.S. Anyone have a favorite climbing gym?

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hi Max,

I live in NYC too. And I'm fresh off of two weeks in Glacier National Park, so the the lack of mountains is killing me!

First, I'm dying to get out hiking this week and fight off mountain withdrawal. I'm in need of a partner too. you interested? I was thinking to go to the Adirondacks, but the Catskills, Whites, or even Harriman State Park are all viable options.

You can get to Harriman via public transport (Metro North) from Grand Central. The rest, not so much. I don't have a car either, but I car pool with those that do or rent a car and car pool with others that don't. It works out okay.

The best outdoor store in the City (that I know of) is Tent and Trails. It's at Broadway and Park Place. They lean towards heavier traditional gear, but sometimes I'm surprised at the UL stuff I find there.

Regarding climbing, I'm only just thinking about getting into it myselfso I'm not able to suggest much. My new co-worker is a pretty avid climber though. I'll ask him. I know most NYCers who climb visit the 'Gunks very regularly for great outdoor climbing though.

So, hope that helps. Good luck in the city. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to get out this weekend.

– Dave

Brian Markey
    BPL Member

@bmlaw

Locale: Northeast

Check out:
    http://www.amc-ny.org/
    http://www.nynjtc.org/

Both sites list hikes and transportation options. See: http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/transportationcodes.pdf

If you can get to Paramus, New Jersey, go to Campmor on Route 17 North. There is an EMS store next to it.

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

So, Gillian. I think it would be fun to take the Metro-North Hudson line to Breakneck ridge and walk east across highway 9 until we hook up with the AT. Then head south and walk down to Manitou. It would be 30-40 miles, but I think we have to make it an overnighter based on the train schedule.
    We can also do the same thing, but instead of going south on the AT we go north and end up at the AT station on the Harlem line. But if we do that I think we'd have to buy two one-way tickets instead of a round trip ticket (because of the change of lines).
    Either of these sound good? Do you have another idea?
    I can leave Thursday afternoon, I'm free all day Friday, Saturday, and have a race on Sunday. Because of the race, I probably wouldn't want to hike on Sunday, but could if your schedule won't allow anything else. Let's keep it a long day or an overnighter.
    My email is max5480 (at) gmail

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hey Max. Check your email.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

check out Harriman State Park.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools