Topic

Southwest Black Bean Couscous Salad – FBC recipe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Southwest Black Bean Couscous Salad – FBC recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Southwest Black Bean Couscous Salad
    Serves 1

This can be made hot or cold.

1/4 cup (cooked and dried) black beans
    1/4 cup couscous
    1 teaspoon dried bell pepper
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon dried tomatoes
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon onion flakes
    1 packet True Lime

At home: combine all of the dry ingredients in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add just enough water to cover the salad. Allow to rehydrate.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hmmm…without the cumin I'd eat it! Maybe that is my lunch for this weekend :-)

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Maybe a bit of sage instead??

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

thanks for the recipe, dicentra. sounds good…speaking of recipes. does anyone out there get backpacker magazine also? does it drive you crazy when they put in a recipe that calls for canned anything or fresh anything??…i can't see myself carrying all that weight. alot of the recipes can be made lighter by using the dried version of ingredients. just separate out things that take longer to rehydrate,adding just enough water, then adding slightly less water then what the recipe calls for. works just fine..

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep, know what you mean! The old "put a can of drained beans in a bag to take with you". Eek, I'll just take dried beans!

Di, I am thinking a pack of salsa would be good added :-D

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Victoria, what you are talking about is a HUGE part of how One Pan Wonders got started!! :)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dicentra – I just made this, because I like to test the recipes as soon as I see them, so I'll know if I can add them to my repertoire. This one is very good. I decided to play with it a little to get a stronger taste and tossed in one of those little packets of balsamic vinegar from minimus.biz. Zowies! Even better!

Off-topic PS – I read your trip report of your backpack trip to Lake Valhalla on the nwhikers site. You camped very near "Burns Butte" at the south end of the lake where Mr. B and I were married. It's a wonderful lake.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Victoria,

It drives me crazy too. I try to avoid cans for several reasons. It isn't just that they are heavy but I don't want to have to deal with sharp can lids either.

Also in many of the areas where we backpack and paddle there are "can and bottle" bans with hefty fines (which I actually have seen enforced in places like Algonquin Provincial Park here in Ontario). I wish more areas would adopt those types of policies.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If only it had mushrooms in it ;-) Hehheh!

I love the balsamic vinegar packets. Yum!

What a pretty place you got married at!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

You guys are too funny!!!

Do I need to write up a different recipe using mushrooms and balsamic vinegar? Sounds kinda good, actually.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Just don't offer Kathleen any with shrooms in it ;-)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

I was going to be polite and not mention that I don't care for cumin, either (can you believe it, Sarah, we have the same excellent, discriminating taste on something?!), but since you're playing dirty by suggesting mushrooms, well….

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

So you're saying I shouldn't bring back Mushroom Madness Mondays?? LOL!!!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

If you left in the word Madness it would at least be defined correctly!

I do like the concept of a sturdy salad for lunch that can be hydrated on the hoof without revving up a stove. Cheese and crackers is getting pretty old. A whole new world of possibilities here: mix and match with dried beans (hooray for Harmonyhousefoods.com), dried veggies, and a starch of some sort, such as couscous, ramen, quinoa, bulger?, plus favorite seasonings.

I'm going to dig out my Freezerbagcooking book and check your Onepanwonders site again to wake up my creative genius. Assuming there ever was one!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I posted a lentil salad recipe for you. Lots more on the site. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol!

I couldn't resist ;-) Btw…Ldyblde took one of the containers of shrooms – she enjoyed them!

I am hoping my recipes for lunches work this weekend :-) If they do, I will post them! I took Di's recipe and took it 180* – no cumin and I used lentils (and shallots). And salsa! Yum!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

What containers of mushrooms??

You gonna post the recipe?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Well, that's a long story. I sent off for Harmonyhousefoods.com's pantry special of 16 veggies. Only it came with 15 veggies and one container of fungus. I packed the fungus containers (2 – I bought 2 sets) in my car for over a year until I finally met up with Sarah at the Trailsfest in July and handed them off to her. She gave one to Ladyblade. They thought I was being nice. I was feeling guilty for giving them to them instead of throwing them out.

Here's a great idea – next time anyone posts a recipe with fungus as an ingredient, they could suggest an alternative, such as dehydrated carrots, which taste better anyway. I told you it was a great idea.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Kathleen – there is also the Citrus Lentil Salad recipe on http://www.wildernesscooking.com. That one makes a great trail lunch (no cooking) and it is fungus free.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Thanks, Laurie. What a relief! I will probably try it tonight when I also make Dicentra's corn and lentil salad. Since I have the ingredients in dehydrated form already, I'll just guess on the quantities when I make it and then rehydrate it. At least I don't have to wonder what's for lunch at work for a few days. I love this testing!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Kathleen,

That is exactly how I test a lot of my FBC style recipes! LOL. Makes lunches easy!

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Glad to see other people do what I do – take it for lunch at work!

People look at me real strange when I am adding hot water to a FBC or Ziploc container and then eating out of it with my BPL spoon.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yep! I do it as well……and make Ford eat them as well ;-) I'll miss him once school starts up again. He will try nearly anything!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I work for my MIL. She's gotten so used to my FBC lunches she often asks me "what concoction do you have today…?" LOL.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools