Topic

GoLite Ion Modifications

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear GoLite Ion Modifications

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Nothing spectacular but I thought I'd post the modifications I made to my Ion today.

Added a pocket inside the lid for key, ID, ATM & first aid. Also added hang loops for my hydration bladder:

Inside view

Added a bungee to the back for wet gear and stuff I want to store on the outside.

Bungee

Added an unplanned hole while removing stitches when I sewed several layers of the pack together. Followed up with hole removal process:

OOPS

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

putting holes in your gear makes it lighter!!!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Nice work Don! I really like the outer bungee and inside pack lid. I just picked up an ion on sale. I cut the waist strap off and removed the sternum strap and now the size medium pack weights 7.3 ounces!

When you added the loops for the outer bungee did you just sew them on top of the side seams?

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

I just sewed the bungee tabs on as close to the original seam as possible. In one thread someone added a rear mesh pocket by completely removing and re-sewing the original seam. That was a little ambitious for my skill level. I'm headed on a trip this weekend so I wanted to make sure my pack was in one piece. DM

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

looks good Donny.
    I took the hydration sleeve out of my Jam2 and it will work perfectly to replace the fragile no-seeum i added to my ION last week. Almost as if its made that way…so I did end up likeing the design of the mesh pocket, and the Jam2's hydro pocket is a durable stretch mesh that Id love to see GoLite add as a permanent feature of the ION.
    I know for 2009 they have some changes coming, waist belt pockets on the Jam for instance. The ION desperately needs some sort of water holder. Thanks for posting your work, looks very functional. Mike

Dave T

@davet

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

If I had it to do again I'd open the main seam for the bungee loops and re-sew them that way. This would make access easier and would probably be stronger than my current solution. It will take a little more preparation but its probably worth it. I did everything with a sewing machine. If you really want to get crafty you could add a mesh pocket on the back that goes 1/2 way up and bungee loops at the same time.

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools