Topic

Gear Review Ratings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Gear Review Ratings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before – in fact, moderators, if it's already been beaten to death before, feel free to delete this post.

It seems like we should have a weighting factor for the ratings. Right now, it's a pure mathematical average: add up the individual scores, and divide by the number of reviews. This allows the ratings to be skewed, such that a pack (for example) with one rating of 5 comes out at the top of the heap, ahead of a pack with 15 or 20 ratings that average 4.8. (It also allows some intentional manipulation by posting low ratings for another product, but we'll assume no one would do that.)

It would seem that the rating for an item that has been rated by 15 or 20 people is more reliable than the rating by only 1 person.

So, you ask, what is the solution? And therein is my embarrassment: I don't know. I just wanted to broach the topic.

For

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools