Topic

Klean Kanteen Filter Adaptor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Klean Kanteen Filter Adaptor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Okay, so I still carry a heavy ol' Katadyn Hiker water filter, haven't changed over to an Amigo-type system. If I can avoid plastics I generally do (and yes, that's an odd thing for an outdoor industry person to say, but I do still use and believe in many of our synthetics, but that's a discussion for the philosophy forum). I've started using the Klean Kanteens, but wanted the convenience of a MSR Miniworks screw-on type connection.

Basically, I just cut the bottom off a Klean Kanteen stainless cap, added a valve (so I could use just the one cap, not carry a separate adaptor), and some aluminum tubing. While I was at it, I've been frustrated by having my plastic tubing washed into the shallows by weak winds and wave action, so I added an aluminum "dirty" line. It seems to be great for sticking out a couple feet from shore in cleaner water and staying there. Weight-wise, ended up with a weight penalty of about 1.5 ounces. Would be nice to find a much lighter valve. But this was basically just a concept experiment.

Assembled Unit

Inside of cap

Working end of dirty line

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools