Topic

2 cup Volcano kettle boils in 3 1/2 mins with 13g alcohol !

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 2 cup Volcano kettle boils in 3 1/2 mins with 13g alcohol !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I'm putting this on a new thread because the development of my volcano kettle is complete. It weighs 42g or 1 1/2oz and the stove weighs 31g or just over an ounce.

I just finished and tested my first customer's kettle and it boiled 2 cups (16oz 474g) of 17C tap water in 3 mins 30 seconds using 13 grams of alcohol fuel.

I think that's as fast as the quickest gas and canister stoves using a conventional pan set up isn't it?

It has a thermal efficiency of 60% and has met all my targets for weight, speed, economy, and ergonomics.

I can also make these using heineken keg cans with a slightly smaller capacity if they use the fast 1oz stove or a full 2 cups using my 4g lip balm pot stove. Boil time with the small stove is around 9 mins.

kettle-stove

I've also developed a small version which weighs 1oz with the small stove weighing 4g which boils 1 cup (8oz 387g) in under 5 mins with 6g of alcohol fuel. Both kettle designs use jointing techniques which keep the minimal amount of glue used away from both the water and direct flame.

1 cup kettle

I have two more orders to fulfill and will have a few 24oz cans left. If anyone would like one of the 2 cup or 1 cup kettles with matching stove at an introductory price, PM me for more details. I'll offer a discount to those willing to send me more 24oz cans to the UK. It's bank holiday weekend over here and I'll be away from thurs-tues on a backpacking trip.

Cheers

Rog tallbloke

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

How do you fill and empty it?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Derek, on the large 2 cup kettle, the section of inverted can lifts off of the top for filling and pouring. On the small kettle, there is a large filling hole in the top edge out of shot on the far side On this prototype it wasn't as neatly cut as I'd like so I left it out of shot. :-)

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

with the 2 cup does that mean the top of the flue comes off too leaving you pouring into an annulus? Does the stove nest?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

It's arranged so that you fill against the side of the flue so there's no spillage.

The small stove nests inside the flue. The super-stove which does the 3 1/2 minute boil doesn't, but it sort of 'nests' on top of the kettle over the flue cover/lid. In that position overall dimensions are 8" x 3 1/8" diameter

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Well my patience has expired. :o

Tallbloke has not come forth with his end of the trade agreement. I send him Foster cans he suppose to send me aluminum tubes or a stove. He has had plenty of time to ship and reship and reship, ha ha ha. He PM'ed me asking for my addy and so I gave it again, still have not received anything. He is one heck of a BS'er, strung me out for a great length of time. Heads-Up, Traders beware!!!!

The guy is bad news when it comes to making a trade

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

QUOTE FROM BPLITE.COM : Re: TALLBLOKE FROM ENGLAND BAD NEWS GUY
    by Skidsteer on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:57 am

He got a box load of free Foster's cans from me too.
    Skids
    END OF QUOTE

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Funny. I think I was the one referred to as "first customer". After talking about the how and how much, I proceeded to choke down a 6 pack of Heiny keg cans. When it came time to ship, he never responded to my emails, so I never sent them. Dan, do you need some stove material? I've got 6 of them in a box. Sorry, they're empty now.
    Chris

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

The clear photos show the craftmenship.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

>Dan, do you need some stove material? I've got 6 of them in a box. Sorry, they're empty now.
    Chris<

Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm fine on can supplies.

The trade agreement came about on his first thread that dealt with his kelly kettle deign using the beer cans.

I like the design concept and tried making a version of it for myzelph. Tallbloke proposed a trade of some of the thin wall tubes he uses for some cans. I agreed and sent him 4 foster cans. He never followed through with his end of the deal. When he posted this thread I reminded him of his short comings and the bad karma. He said give him my addy again and he would send me a stove. It never happended. I felt a heads-up was in order.

Has anyone received a stove from Tallbloke?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Dan, I sent you a PM a week ago to let you know I was waiting for the cans from Chris. You didn't reply.
    I will still send your alloy tubes as originally agreed to box this off, but I won't build you a kettle after this unwarranted attack. It would have been a courtesy to contact me by PM first. I have made many friendly and good trades with people here on BPL, but your attitude and manner show you to be someone I don't really wish to do business with. I should have read the warning signs after your use of your website to attack Tinny.

I was wondering who the mystery cans were from that skids sent, he didn't put his username on the box, which then got used for posting other stuff by my ladyfriend so I didn't have an address either. I'll contact him via your site if I still have a login. Or put him in contact with me.

Chris, I responded immediately to your email saying I was looking forward to getting the cans from you as I didn't have enough for the stove, although as I had previously emailed to say, the kettle was complete. You didn't reply. Contact me if you are still interested. It's a shame you didn't post the cans as you promised, as I would have then been able to make Dan his kettle, and all this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

The slings and arrows of international business I guess. Anyway, I'm now working long hours on contract with a precision engineering company, so I'll be choosing how to spend my free time carefully.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Rog,
    I sent two emails a few days apart offering to receive the polycryo ground sheet you were looking to buy from GG. I figured since I'm sending a box across the pond, what's a few more pieces of plastic? Not getting a response from that, yet seeing other posts of yours online, I assumed you flaked out, so I've still not sent them. I'll send the cans if you're still interested, but honestly I don't feel comfortable buying a stove after all this. I'd rather just let it go at this point. No harm, no foul? I've got broad shoulders, so feel free to place all the blame you need on me.
    Best of luck with your engineering gig.
    Chris

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Chris,
    no great harm done. Dan isn't a customer. I offered him a kettle after the original pair of alloy tubes I sent him in return for his 4 fosters cans went astray in the post. I'll stick to making kettles for friends for now I think. And one for skids if he responds to the PM I sent him.

As I said on the polycryo thread, I found a UK source via Mike spotting the material in B&Q. I've been a bit slack on checking emails since I started this job so sorry for missing yours.

I'd still like the cans if you'll send them, I'll pay the postage and packing upfront via paypal if you PM the costs from your side. No worries about the kettle I made for you if you want to back out, some members of my local mountaineering club are wanting some of the large ones anyway. They were impressed by the demo. :-)

All the best

Rog

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I have 2 kettles Rog sent me as part of a trade for a quilt i made him. All my experience with him has been great. I think a little patience and grace should be extended all around. After all this is a community, lets not throw bricks through windows.

-Tim

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Rog,
    No worries about reimbursement, but I may need a few days to find a lull in the storm we call work.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

(quote)Roger Tattersall
    ( tallbloke – M)

2 cup Volcano kettle boils in 3 1/2 mins with 13g alcohol ! on 08/19/2008 05:23:13 MDT

I have two more orders to fulfill and will have a few 24oz cans left. If anyone would like one of the 2 cup or 1 cup kettles with matching stove at an introductory price, PM me for more details. I'll offer a discount to those willing to send me more 24oz cans to the UK. It's bank holiday weekend over here and I'll be away from thurs-tues on a backpacking trip.

Cheers

Rog tallbloke(end quote)

Rog,
    The above quoted date is when we exchanged e-mails. At that time you had a few cans left and you said you would send me a stove. Four weeks pass and nothing is received and no more emails. Skidsteer sent you cans and he gets nothing, not even an email. I sent you cans in March, I have not received anything.

Tim, how much patience should Skidsteer and I have? You are much farther ahead than we are, good for you.

My message was clear and served it's purpose here.

My message to tiny was clear and served it's purpose.

Rog, your integrety is at a low point.

Skidsteer and I financed your stove developement with cans and good will. Make this deal right!!!!!!!

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained"

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I can't believe you're giving Roger so much stick. He must owe you a lot of money? No? What then?
    4 lousy, EMPTY cans of beer!
    Get a grip man. Roger has just started a new job, and probably has more important things to worry about right now than your empty beer cans.
    Had you made some more empty beer cans when you started all this personal abuse?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Tim: Thanks mate, the quilt is a beauty.

Mike: Storm in a kettle, don't get riled on my behalf.

Dan: Skids has replied to my PM via email, thanks for the headsup. I'll post your 2 replacement alloy tubes saturday, first chance I'll get.

Niles/casey: yes, I'll make a kettle for you, can't seem to reply to your PM via BPL's system at the moment but email me direct on rog (at) tallbloke (dot) net.

Just goes to show the old saying is right no publicity is bad publicity. :-)

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Pretty fascinating pot Rog

Have you ever tried it with a Caldera windscreen? If so, what sort of efficiency do you get then?

Cheers,

Adam

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for your interest. After this little debacle, I retired from commercial manufacture and got on with earning some real money. :-)

But for fun and interest I developed the stove a bit further and got the boil time down to 2mins 45sec as mentioned on the efficiency thread yesterday. It made the stove a bit thirstier, but I felt it was a reasonable tradeoff as conduction losses increase exponentially with windspeed. So the quicker you get the job done, the less energy you lose in real world conditions out on the hill. It used 17g of fuel for 2 cups of 10C water in calm conditions.

My windshield was an oblong sheet of 0.005" Ti. No need for a cone shape with this design, as the cone is the flue inside the kettle. The flames from the outer jets hugged the side of the kettle due to some interesting physics in calm conditions. However it was never really great in anything more than a zephyr, so I reverted to slower but more efficient internal flame only designs using a taller, narrower can for the kettle, and a big chugging Fosters can for the outer windshield. The capacity dropped to a cup and a quarter, but I found that just right for solo needs.

The other real breakthrough was developing a technique for soldering the main seam where the flue jointed to the kettle outer. Took a while to figure that process out. Success rate was around 33% in the end. Not a viable commercial proposition, but satisfying to have an uberlight and durable kettle making capability after all the sweat and tears.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools