Topic

Steripen Adventure Users: What bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Adventure Users: What bottle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

For those who use the Steripen Adventurer, I'm curious as to what container you are using during sterilization? I've read some of the following ideas:

1) Nalgene widemouth hard bottle
    2) Nalgene widemouth soft side canteen
    3) Cooking pot -> once treated pour into platypus
    4) I picked up a Platypus Bigzip 2L hydration bladder (the new SL model) with the zipper on top and new locking mechanism. At 4 ounces this may work.

Anyone using something other than these?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I use a 32 oz nalgene widemouth HDPE for on the trail drinking and in camp for sterilizing, after which I'll pour it into various containers (platy's, pet bottles, sometimes wide mouth canteens)

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

I use a 32 ounce Nalgene wide mouth, soft sided canteen. I pour untreated water through a GSI coffee filter that screws onto the opening of the canteen. Remove the coffee filter then sterilize with the steripen.

Rich Apple

@richapple

Locale: Santa Cruz, California

I'm not using anything different than what you have listed. Well, my Nalgene is not the hard plastic, so perhaps I too am using the HDPE… And we do just use the 32 oz and those are the bottles in which we keep our water.

After a couple years with the Adventurer, I did kind of unlearn one aspect, though. After pushing the button once and having the green light come on, I was hurrying it into the water. Once the button is pushed the green light comes on solid and takes a short moment before it starts blinking.

You want to wait until it's blinking to put it in the water.

I think the thing is great. The next trip will no doubt have very low temps, though, where we've got to pocket it or the batteries to have it (the Adventurer) be warm enough…

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I have been using a plastic bag. Actually one that dried cherries came in. It has a gusset like or bellows bottom similar to the BigZip Platypus and also found in freeze dried meal bags or the OP Sak Meal Bag offered by BPL. Mine was basically free. It folds small, weighs a few grams, does not tie up or contaminate my cooking pot or water bottle, can be used as a scoop for shallow water sources, and holds a little over a liter. Perfect.

-Mark

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

i use a wide mouth 1l Gatorade bottle. just cut an oval shaped hole in a spare lid big enough to fit the adventure into up to its first lip(where it looses its taper), then add 3 layers of duct tape and cut a smaller oval shaped hole in the tape. when you cut the tape, leave enough so that when you push the steripen into it the tape folds into the cap only enough to cover the hard plastic edges. doesn't need to be pretty, field repairable and cost two dollars.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Great ideas!

Brendan Dahl

@brendan-dahl

I use a 32 oz gatorade bottle. This is also what I use for one of my water bottles. The steripen won't go all the way in but if you have enough water in the container it is enough to touch the water sensors. I then just dry the threads with a rag, as discussed in another thread this seems to be safe.

This is not a good solution for places where the water isn't deep enough to put the whole bottle in, however you could use a cook pot to scoop water.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've been using the new Camelback bike bottle this summer. Works fine.

I carry the bottle in my Dana "Wet Rib" front pouch & bottle holder, usually with some type of hydration mix in it like Cytomax or Propel.

Eric

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I am using a Nalgene soft sided 1L with the GSI coffe filter like Nathan above. I also sewed a tint bag of netting to hold 1 oz of charcoal which I place in the GSI while scooping. I screw on the Nalgene top and swish for a minute to further expose the water to the charcoal. Finally, I remove all that and Steripen. I pre-filter with my bandana if the water source isn't clear.

I cobbled together this technique thanks to a really productive thread on this forum a few months ago. It is the result of great minds collaborating here at BPL.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Nathan and Michael, Is this the GSI filter and 1L Nalgene Wide-Mouth Cantene you both use?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Yes Brian, they are exactly the ones.

I have carried over the idea of using the charcoal netting bag even when I don't use the Steripen. I hike mostly in New England, Blue Ridge of N.C. or Florida. The water is clear in the mountain streams but I could never get the Florida swamp water clear enough to trust the Steripen, so I switch to Sawyer's Purifier in a ULA's Amigo gravity filter. There's no carbon element so I provide my own.

Nathan F
    BPL Member

@nathan-f

Those are the ones I use also.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

MSR Titan 1.5 L pot also used for cooking for two
    Decant into 1.25 L PET fizzy bottle(s)

cheers

Stuart Gregory

@shuttleworth

I use a 500ml Camelbak bottle. If the water looks like it might be a bit lumpy, I stretch a Buff over the opening to strain the water.

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

For those using the coffee filter, how well does it get most solids? I have tired of the hard Nalgene bottle and straining it through a bandana trick but I could never get the soft sided bottle to stand up well on it's own. Seems like the coffee filter is the perfect solution for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools