Topic

Golden Chia Seeds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Golden Chia Seeds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Has anyone any experience eating golden chia seeds? Apparently they are a complete protein. A circa 1985 PCT hiker told me of them; his partner consumed them after soaking them awhile in hot water. They turn from tiny seeds to tiny seeds surrounded with clear gelatinous goo resembling frog eggs (which I have tasted and found not too unpleasant to drink).

A learned friend told me distance runners somewhere in Africa traditionally have eaten them, but they chewed them plain as they ran.

It seems like it could be a promising recovery drink, after all, some people eat GU. Who's game?

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I've used the chia seeds for a brief time. They are pretty tasty but makes your water thick like a gelatinous glop. I used it in my ice tea or other drinks at home. I don't know if it helped with hydration, but it certainly didn't hurt. I had to purchase them in bulk so that go to be a bit tedious. Give it a go.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

lindsey and donna. i put them in my oatmeal to add protein..tori

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

thanks for posting about chia seeds… this is inspiring and something I haven't tried but I'll be picking some up today.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I live 600 metres from a little store called The Source so I figured I would call over there to see if he had any. He has all kinds of neat things I've never seen before. He had both white and black chia seeds but is out of stock until next week. So now I just need to get to recipe creation and wait for my order to come in.

During our chat he did tell me that I can make a gel with them. Just put them in a container with water and shake it up – then let it rest for two minutes. The fellow mentioned that the gel is great as a base for a salad dressing for rice or couscous salads. Cool idea.

He went on to tell me that they are useful additions to soups, curries and stews. They can be sprinkled in cookies, cakes and other baking and that you can even buy chia flour.

One of the things I found out is that these seeds are not only high in protein but they are a good source of calcium for vegans and a good source of potassium (double bananas).

Very interesting. If I come up with any amazing recipes I will let you know. I don't think I could drink something gelatinous so I won't be creating any drink recipes.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Laurie, If you are inspired about these seeds, it's a drop in the bucket compared to how much you've inspired me with your fantastic wilderness cookery book, "A Fork In The Trail" (which I was able to get locally at The Mountaineers Bookstore, Seattle). The theory and dehydrating tutorial alone was well worth the price of the book, the recipes I've tried have been fantastic (the energy bars have been a huge hit), and your frontcountry tinfoil/cardboard box oven earned me the nickname 'Martha Stewart' on our last carcamping/climbing trip in Joshua Tree Nat. Park. Thank you, thank you.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thank you Linsey. That made my morning.

I do have to give credit to my darling husband Bryan for helping me write out the box oven instructions. He's a Service Engineer so he was a big help. We don't take that backpacking but it sure is a hit in a campground.

I have some other neat info for those of you who bake on the trail.

I'm on the phone with a vegan friend right now and she has just finished telling me how she uses chia as an egg substitute… that is going to be something I test and put in the next book for sure.

For each "egg" you mix 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons of chia and let it sit for five minutes. This will be a great egg substitute because there isn't the risk of it going rancid like flax seed. I hope it works.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Chia for sprouting yet?

You know… Cha-cha-cha CHIA PET!? You can eat those sprouts!

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Dicentra: What a fantastic idea!

A few years ago (then new to backpacking, I was 'interviewing' every hiker I could find about their favorite trail foods) I heard the aforementioned trail lore of chia seeds, got enough to try, then forgot about them until suddenly this morning. Never would I have dreamed what a multitasking foodstuff they could be (very light too!).

All these cool ideas are really expanding my horizons.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Chia seeds apparently sprout well but are low on the flavor scale… somewhat bland according to the supplier I spoke with this morning. For sprouting there are much tastier choices.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

You can vary the amount of thickening with the seeds by either adding/less water or seeds. They really are tasty in a drink. Almost similar to a sweet green grape. I just had a hard time finding them. But now, we are getting Trader Joe's, Whole Foods(Whole Paycheck) in town. Woohoo.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I found a great site in Canada called http://www.superseeds.ca

I spoke with the owner of SuperSeeds Organics later in the day on Monday as I didn't want to have to wait until Source got their order in to start experimenting.

The customer service is impeccable and the parcel arrived this morning. Here is a photo…

Chia Seeds and Flour

There are black chia seeds, white chia seeds and chia flour for me to play around in the kitchen with. I'm excited.

Robert also sent me some containers too. The colored ones are weekender containers and the little clear ones enough for a single serving.

Anyway, when I come up with some recipes I will let you know. I have a lot of experimenting ahead of me I think.

note… edited the post for photo placement (one of these times I will get it right)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools