Topic

Bivy sack material

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bivy sack material

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vireoes S
    BPL Member

@vireoes

Locale: Northern Utah

I an planning on making a bivy sack using the meteor design found on sixmoondesigns website. I am trying to decide on what material to use for a top portion. I was planning to go with silnylon for the bottom. I want the top to be breathable, but should I go with something waterproof or merely something water resistant. I would be using the bivy under a tarp.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I would go with something like the Momentum available at thru-hiker.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

for under a tarp ( i am assuming full coverage tarp) you don't want waterproof. breathable is the answer. Momentum as Chris answered is the A#1 choice. However if the $14yd price is too steep for you check OWFINC.com they have breathable 1.1 rip for a lot less. I like the red, it's cheaper becuase they think it's a 2nd. I can't figure out why in the 20 some yds i've ordered of it. In fact Chris has a bag i made using this exact fabric. I order bulk and pay under $4yd for this. Always find a way to order 20yd of 1 type of fabric from them to get wholesale on your entire order. A great savings, you just have to plan all your projects at once, and fund them too.

-Tim

Frank Baker
    BPL Member

@wildswolfe

My wife just completed sewing the SMD Meteor bivy for me last month. I used momentum (from thru-hiker)for the top and coated mini-ripstop (purchased on sale at rainshed) for the bottom. Silnylon would've been slightly lighter for the bottom but not as waterproof as the urethane coated fabric according to my conversation with the owner of thru-hiker. Apparently while silnylon is fine for a tarp, when it is laid on with pressure there can be some water pass through the fabric. My bivy came out weighing 9.5 oz nonetheless. Be advised sewing with momentum and silnylon can be a tricky affair with these slippery fabrics. Experiment with stitch length and tension on scraps first.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

I've had good luck with floor/gs's made from the double-coated silnylon from americanhomeandhabitat.com. It has a coating of silicone on each side. The first pass impregnates the nylon weave, the second forms a uniform film. Regular silnylon will seep if the ground is wet. Not a problem if you use your bivy with a tarp, but water will usually run underneath an unprotected bivy unless you have the gumption and opportunity to put it on thick forest duff.

Be warned that polyurethane also will seep unless the coating is thick (and heavy). That's the logic behind Super K-coat from Kenyon being used for tent floors.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I rely on my closed cell foam pad inside my bivy for extra
    water proofness. The bivy keeps me on my pad this way.

Most silicone coated nylon is coated both sides. It is also
    hot calandered to a degree. The amount of coating and the
    solvents used to apply it are major differences as to
    water proofness under pressure.

mark henley

@flash582

I made two Meteor Bivys using Silnylon for the floor and Momentum for the top.

They work great … I too put my Foam Pad inside the Bivy so a little moisture is not a problem.

It's a great little design ….. I'll be using it on the AT this fall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools