Topic

Stove Lighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stove Lighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

I prefer to use a MiniBic but for lighting open stoves like the Caldera Cone or Packafeather you have to use matches or dip a stick in the alcohol and light it with the Bic. Trying to find a stick each time did not appeal (can't find them in places like some dry Southwest sites and they could be wet in other areas). I took about a 1" square of fiberglass cloth where one side was the factory finished edge. I put thin tape on the other 3 to keep them from unraveling while folding it into a small wad so that the last edge out was the factory edge. I then took a piece of phone wire (the red one from a 4 wire cable) and twisted it around the fiberglass. It is so light I couldn't weigh it and it easily stores with the stove. In fact a much smaller piece of cloth would work (a scrap of 1/16" wick). I I simply dip it in the open top of the stove before lighting it. I made it long enough so that my tall cone screen can be in place which is great in a strong wind and bent it a couple of offsets so that the flames aren't licking up the wire as I lower it down.

I would have posted a pic but couldn't find on the forum instruction on how to.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bob,

I assume you have a small (150 dpi) jpg image somewhere –

To embed an image enter some text, then

… Click the Insert Image at Cursor button, Above Right –
    … Browse to that image –
    … Name it – Description
    … Click on Upload image –

And maybe add a blank line or two, some more text, then Post Message.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

The caldera cone stove I have has a small primer ring around the outside. If yours is the same you're supposed to put a few drops in the ring then light that, it'll heat the inside up which will start the stove.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

For starting an alcohol stove, I use a spark from s Spark-Lite

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/spark_lite_fire_starter_basic.html

Same for Esbit…a few drops of alcohol on top of the esbit tablet, and a spark. Simple and light, and not as picky as lighters at elevation.

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

Can't belive I didn't see the "Insert Image at Cursor" button!! I'll give it a try.Lighter Stick

One of the advantages of the FeatherFire is you don't have to prime it–easier and saves fuel. You light the open top fuel bowl and put you pot right there.

John–thanks for the reference to the Spark-Lite. I'll order them and I assume from your post and reading the Spark-Lite instructions that it will light the raw alcohol.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Bob,

Yes, the Spark-Lite lights the vapors that come off the alcohol, so priming is probably only needed with allot of wind. It usually starts with one spark.

John

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

FYI –

I've been using the Light My Fire Scout to light my Caldera stove this summer.

It was difficult at first until someone suggested holding the striker over the stove and pulling up on the metal rod part. This prevents knocking over the stove when you're trying to light it, plus it's easier to direct the sparks right into the stove.

I can light it in one or two strikes now.

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

Since this lighter I have fashioned from such thin wire weighs so little, I think I'll try combining it with the Spark-Lite. It gives the advantage of having the wind screen/reflector in place before lighting the stove and I am pretty sure the sparks would easily light it after it has been dipped in the alcohol.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools