Topic

Floorless shelters with kids?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Floorless shelters with kids?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

How many of you have experience using single-wall floorless shelters with kids? I am looking for a light shelter for a family of five. It seems that once you have more than four people, the number of light-weight options with floors and bug protection diminish considerably (I am aware of the GoLite Shangri-la shelters, but with full bug netting they are rather heavy). So, for those of you that do it, I have a question for you: How do you deal with condensation and bugs? Do you get bivy sacks for everyone? 5 Bivy sacks seems like it would cost a lot of money…

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The biggest challenge using a single walled shelter with my daughter was her tendency to run her sleeping bag covered legs against the roof of the shelter. Why did she do this? No clue. Anytime there was condensation the foot of her bag would end up wet. After a couple of years she grew out of that behavior and we felt free to switch her to a down bag.

As to bug protection… our solution was to camp places without bugs :-) or to use shelters that have an options of bug netting around the perimeter. For example, oware, mld, kifaru, sell tarps with bug perimeters, or you could add your own to the golite line.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools