Topic

Introduction to Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Introduction to Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I guess my disappointment in the Outdoor Shows coverage was that I really wanted to get a glimpse of the shows as they were happening, like BPL used to do for the last few years. One of the most valuable views into the shows that I've had over the years at BPL was getting photos of gear. As it was, this year I kept waiting for the short reviews to show up, found nothing, and so closed the BPL window and looked for the news on other sites, like Lighthiker and Spadout. Kind of silly, I thought, since it is here at BPL that I want to learn about those things. Even today, years after they were published I still go back to old reviews and photos of gear to think about and compare gear. The photographs are what make it most worthwhile, such as last winter when I was looking around for winter tents and brought up a search for the Mountain Hardwear Bunker 1. This year the shows have ended and I feel I've learned nothing about the shows from BPL.

Though I do agree with John that the upcoming articles will probably fulfill that need for more information.

I also realize that trying to keep up to-the-minute reviews certainly must be exhausting! The shows are exhausting enough in themselves!

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

There are forums for past OR shows, which seem to keep all the info consolidated. Any reason for the change on this?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Perhaps another thing that I liked last year and seems more difficult now, is immediate interaction. I remember that during past shows, because the reports were published during the show, questions could be asked to the BPL team which then could go back to the reps on the floor. The current format doesn't allow this I think (or at least not as easily).

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Tom wrote:

"I remember that during past shows, because the reports were published during the show, questions could be asked to the BPL team which then could go back to the reps on the floor."

You know I had forgotten this, but you're absolutely right. That was very cool/useful and is an excellent point on the side of more timely reports. It was like having our own representatives at the show rather than just reading reports.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi all,

This link to a bunch of short revirews was posted on a different thread and I want to add it here.

Short reviews from the Summer-ORS-2008

Seems that Patagonia is coming out or coming back with its Wool #1. It would seem that this new item might have attracted enough attention to get some kind of notice by BPL.com.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools