Topic

Friedrichshafen & Salt Lake City

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Friedrichshafen & Salt Lake City

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Friedrichshafen & Salt Lake City

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Great read, Chris, and for someone who isn't in America and hungers for information about gear that is not American, very interesting. Of course, since it was just a general description the lack of photos only makes me yearn to see more.

One great thing about Japan is that since most gear here comes from overseas the Japanese are always keen for the best of what is out there. Yeti, for instance, sells their sleeping bags here. Other companies that I've seen no where but in Europe, but are sold here are Fjallraven, Haglofs, Eider, Camp, Millet (wildly popular), Norrona, Helsport, Artiach, Mammut, Lafuma, Lowa, Jack Wolfskin… to name just a few. For some reason British kit is rarely present, except Montane, I think perhaps because British clothing and styling rarely fits Japanese physiques. But that doesn't answer why tents and packs are not more represented, of course. I think the Japanese would love the Terra Nova tent range, though they only just catching on to the the joys of the Hilleberg Akto and still haven't grasped outer-pitch first tents yet. The last time I spoke to someone about the Akto they advised me against purchasing it "because the tent doesn't have a floor. There is a good chance you will get wet in our torrential rains."

Every year Japan puts on two great outdoor shows, one in Tokyo and one in Osaka, but unfortunately no one much notices them in America and Europe. Sad, since there is some wonderful gear from Japan and the Japanese are nuts about the outdoors.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Chris,
    Yes, looking forward to feedback from both shows. I'd particularly like to hear about the contrasts between the two. While it's great to judge each product/company on its own merits, it would be helpful for you to reserve a few words about whether these new products have any attributes that make them stand out from what is commonly reviewed on BPL, or that they are merely alternatives.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Anatoly IVANOV

@aivanov

Locale: Paris, FRANCE / Geneva, SWITZERLAND

Chris,

Absolutely agree about that outdorsy feeling in Friedrichshafen.

I point to that difference as well when I compare the major outdoor shows in an article on my web site.

ANATOLY IVANOV / PHOTOGRAPHY / DESIGN / PROSE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools