Topic

Running the AT – GO KARL!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Running the AT – GO KARL!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Karl Meltzer is nuts. He plans to make an Appalachian Trail speed record attempt and run it in 47 days. Yes. 2,174 miles in 47 days. He started today. More power to him.
    I'll be watching this closely. I'm not even a runner, just a casual observer with deep respect for those that can push themselves at this level and endure it for that long.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this all over the news. It is a supported trip, but quite a venture nonetheless.

http://karlmeltzer.com/
    http://www.whereskarl.com/

Run Forrest! Run!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Running on any trail is very damaging for the trail and should be against the law.

Break a leg – Karl – and quick.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Bill,
    I will just assume that you forgot the emoticon that shows you are joking ;-)

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

"Running on any trail is very damaging for the trail and should be against the law."

Bill – what damage does trail running cause a trail, particularly an already heavily used one?

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

wow…to wish someone ill health given what you have been thru?
    I didn't know you owned the trails and dictated how they be used. A thousand bows to you, o master.

Blue _
    BPL Member

@lrmblue

Locale: Northeast (New England)

If anyone is interested (and doesn’t already know) a thread that seems to have run parallel with this one (but at greater length) is over under "AT Speed Record Attempt" in the “General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion” forum. It is fascinating how Karl’s speed attempt has provoked people into considering and/or expressing their own governing principals about how our natural world should be experienced and what is the most appropriate path for traveling through it. PAX.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

maybe they should pave the at?

derek parsons

@neurotek

Locale: ontario

i can't for the life of me think how trail running damages trails any less/moreso than backpacking, although i'm open to other's opinions on the matter. as both a trail runner and backpacker i have some insight on this. when running a trail you carry substantially less weight, your shoes are lighter (less imprint), and your strides are generally longer. i argue i'm impacting the trail more when i carry 30lbs and wearing 3lbs hiking boots.

and wishing somebody breaks their leg is bad karma, especially for a hiker to make the comment. life has interesting ways of balancing things like this.

i wish him the best of luck and a good trip.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think they're gonna have to start a Piste Off forum just for Bill ; )

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

It's all over, folks. A lower leg injury on day 6 has done it. See http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40337

Timothy Hortberg

@thortberg

Locale: Midwest

Karl actually made it to day 15 before he made the wise decision to pause and evaluate his condition. He has tendonitis caused by compensating for the pain of trench foot.
    He is taking it day by day and hopes to get back on the trail soon. He is optimistic and plans on finishing even though he most likely will not get the record. (paraphrased from the Whereskarl website) I think Karl is making wise choices and I wish him the best of luck in finishing this year and with his next attempt.

I have read the posts so far and really find the negative posts disheartening.

I think we should be more supportive of everyone that is chasing their dreams. I know I would like the support.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools