Topic

Pyramid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pyramid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hello All,
    Anyone here ever sew a Mid (i.e. BD Megamid, MLD Mid, etc.)?
    I want to sew something more enclosed/secure than a tarp for trips with my children (ages 5 and 7; we're outgrowing a 2 man tent for the 3 of us). Ideally I want something that can fit at least 1 adult (maybe 2 if my wife takes to some convincing), 2 kids, plus gear.
    I'm cooking up some plans but as I don't own one and have never seen plans, I'm pretty much winging it off of the dimensions I see posted online. I'm thinking in the 8 x 8 x 5 foot ballpark…
    I'm sure I'll figure something out…but does anyone have any tips that might save me some time?
    Thanks.

Stephen Morse
    BPL Member

@scmorse1

Locale: Bay area

Here is a post on hikinghq.net. This guy made a nice pyramid tent.

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26466#post26466

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've found un-ventilated designs to be stuffy and wet. Check out the BillGy at Quest Outfitters for design ideas. It's well ventilated even when it's closed up for pouring rain.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Here are links to two BPL articles (related to the same project) in which Kevin Egelhoff created a cuben fiber mid.

Original idea thread
    Project start thread
    Post project report

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks everyone, I'll follow those leads…
    The Tipi linked above looks great- a smaller version (similar to a GoLite Hex 3) could be really cool.
    By adding more panels I imagine you're increasing it's ability to deflect wind, distributing panel tension much more evenly, etc. The usable space in a square floored mid is probably better though.
    I think I will go with a hex/octagon design- I know my kids will really love the "tipi" idea.

edit: But then again, you could do an octagon as a mid with stronger mid-panel stakeouts…

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i've sewn a kifaru knockoff, and got as far as cutting out half the panels for a pyramid. but then i learned how real tipis are sewn – a semicircle rolled into a cone. i'm working on one right now and i think it's a superior design to multi-paneled pyramids and tipis.

the most complex part of sewing a multi-paneled pyramid is making all the seams match up in length so that all the panels converge properly at the top. i used a lot of naughty language when i was finishing mine!

but sewing a semicircle out of longer strips of fabric, the traditional tipi construction, eliminates the multiple seams joining together at the top. look at Titanium Goat's tents, examine the seams, and you'll see what I mean.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

I have sewed a pyramid tent. The one we use most is a bug pyramid tent. Getting the zipper correct was the hardest part for me, and it was pretty easy. I only had to rip the seams once.

bugtent

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I would be very greatfull to anyone who could point me to some Alphamid plans.
    I would love to make an Alphamid out of breathable Tyvek.

Mabye I should ask Oware how much it would be, but I think a custom order like that would be too much for me and making your own stuff can be nice somtimes.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools