Topic

New Water Treatment Product

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Water Treatment Product

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Fred Baltimore

@fredbaltimore

I have spoken to a lab that does work for EPA. To register a water “purifier” EPA does a simple test on an indicative virus, bacteria and cyst. These are tested in two types of water, sterile water and so-called type 2 water. Type two water is organice laden as if it were a Georgia mud puddle that has had leaves soaking in it. I have seen it. Camping, I know of no source of sterile water nor have I ever used totally organic laden water. I have hiked for 40 years and have never had to resort to water this filthy. I have the so-called best pump and it clogs on water far less organic-laden than the type 2 water. I have switched to AM and am going to immediately try KW since it is multi use. To my knowledge the active ingredient in MP, AM, KW is the same, just a function of time and dose. note: Why does MP taste so bad if same compared to AM? Therefore just a matter of utility. Micropur does a great job of stating how stupid the EPA testing is with a small informational brochure at the point of sale. I wonder if EPA knows they are doing this?, I’ll bet not. I wish AM did the same thing. As opposed to the other writer, I would defer to Ryan not EPA because the products are actually used as I would use them, not in sterile water or mud puddles. Remember, EPA uses the type 2 water directions for ALL USE because they feel we are not capable of telling clear water from filthy water. I would filter filthy water through a cloth anyhow. So much for the directions of all “purifiers.” I respect the EPA for much of the enforcement it does to protect our environment but I surely do not think they should have anything to do with water cleaners that are not municipal systems. Doesn’t this seem more like FDA territory? Does simplistic lab testing by our government instead of actual field test AND lab test by a competent reviewer give comfort to anyone?

Viewing 51 post (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools