Topic

Best online host?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Best online host?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Hey all. I'm starting to post pics online and want to know which server to use. I started with flickr, but they have a limit on how much data you can upload/month. What are others' experiences with photobucket, picasa and other servers?

Margaret

Joe Westing

@pedro87

If you are looking for a free service, I would recommend Picasa Web Albums. You get 1 GB of free space, unlimited sets, and no monthly upload limits (unlike Flickr which only allows 100 MB of uploads per month, only 3 sets/albums, and only the most recent 200 pics can be viewed in the photostream). If you are looking for a subscription/non-free service with unlimited storage, I am seriously considering SmugMug.

a link to my Picasa gallery:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.laciano

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I like Picasa as well. I use a bunch of other Google apps and its convenient to use since I'm usually already signed in using one of them.

I tried Flickr and it took forever to upload my pictures. It could have just been a bad day or a slow connection, but I switched to Picasa and haven't felt the need to find anything "better."

Adam

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've been using Flickr for the last year or more but I pay for a pro account.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Picassa is good for free hosting.

If you are looking for something paid with a bit more features with the possibilities of selling your work then you may want to take a look at Lunar Pages (www.lunarpages.com)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Margaret,

If you want to go one step beyond just posting pictures, consider your own website. MargaretSnyder.com is taken but Margaret-Snyder.com is available.

I gave a website (CaseyandEmily.com) to my wife in 2003 for her birthday. It didn't go over so well at the time, but now we don't know what we'd do without it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I actually run my own site and host pics with Flickr. I would quickly run my site out of space if I had all my full size images on it.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Another vote for Picasa. Speed is fast, I like the way they display, captions are nice. It fits in with other Google products including mapping, which I think is more important to us hikers than to most.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Picasa and it's much better than Flickr. I also use a bunch of google apps so this melds well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools