Topic

Windstopper

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Windstopper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

What is everyones opinion on Windstopper material or similar materials?

I (who knows not too much) am not keen on it as I think it is a relatively heavy material (I only know about Gortex Winstopper) with not that great thermal properties. Yes it keeps the wind out but it ain't lush and warm. My theory is to have a thermal jacket and if the wind blows I put on my waterproof/windproof jacket, both of which I'd be carrying anyway.

This winter I am wearing a Windstopper jacket around town because our (Australian) winters are so mild but I would not carry such a jacket when hiking.

When Gortex bought out Windstopper I thought it would be great if I could get a fleece jacket with Windstopper and it only weighed a little more. But no, it don't exist.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I returned mine (two years, but only about three outings later) to MEC. It didn't breath anywhere near well enough, so it was like wearing a lightly fleeced, slightly strechy, non-sliding Goretex shell, with no pitzips, that wasn't waterproof.

I swapped for a MEC Feratta top with a hood. This is a great top for climbing and possibly rogaining, and SAR, when you need a jacket to plough through scrub. Very breathable, stretchy, fairly windproof, fitted. But for a LW system, I think you're better off with a base layer and a windproof. More versatile, probably lighter, durable enough for most on and off track walking (not Tassie though)

Rod

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Wind-proof fleeces can be hugely versatile, depending on how you use them. I, too, use them mostly around town because of their convenience. But I wouldn't ignore them for backcountry use. Obviously, you know that if the wind's blowin', a standard fleece won't trap any heat used outermost. Even a windproof fleece loses the warmth trapped in the fleece on the outermost side of the wind barrier. But, somewhat like a wetsuit, you do retain that layer of warm air behind the barrier. That barrier ultimately does restrict air flow and add warmth to a layer, even when worn under a shell.

That said, my personal metabolism is such that even in the 20s or 30s I frequently overheat even with just a light to midweight merino layer and a windshell. So no, I wouldn't plan on a windproof fleece for activity. Gag! I've personally had great success with Powerstretch fleece, it being wind resistant but allowing some air movement. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but there's my cents.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

Personally, I don't get the point of Windstopper for backcountry use (although it would make sense for in-town use).

You need a shell anyway. You use a regular fleece when you need less warmth; the air moving through the fleece regulates the heat and prevents you from overheating. If it gets a bit colder, you can put the fleece over a shell. Even colder than that, you throw the shell over the fleece. Simple and effective. Why would you want a heavier, less versitile garment?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I love my Windstopper balaclava. For jackets or pants I think layers would be more versatile.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Actually I had a windstopper vest which I used hiking in Alaska and it was great. Just being a vest and uninsulated means it didn't trap much heat but being windproof it kept the cold air of my upper body. I remember a lot of nice sunny hiking days and the vest was great.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Polartec Windbloc is more of a compromise – I've got some windbloc gloves – Rab Phantom – and they are very similar to regular Powerstretch gloves in weight and feel.

Hard to tell exactly how much more wind they block though – Polartec claim 4x as much as regular fleece, whatever than means. It's going to be less than Windstopper or Windpro.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

>Polartec claim 4x as much as regular fleece
    Thats polartec wind pro. Polartec windbloc has a urethane layer, blocks 100% wind and is non breathable.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

whoops you're right got them around the wrong way. The Phantom Gloves are WindPro, not WindBloc.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools