Topic

110 miles of PCT though Yosemite and Carson/Iceburg

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 110 miles of PCT though Yosemite and Carson/Iceburg

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Hey everybody,
    Just got back a few days ago from my big trip and I must say that it was awesome. I started off going with a hiking partner but the first day out he ended up going back to the car because of an injury, smart move on his part if you ask me. So this left me with a decision to make, solo or home. I ended up going solo for the entire trip. Let me tell you that over half the people I meet on the trail were traveling solo so I started to feel better right away.
    I started in Tuolumne Meadows and ended at Ebbits Pass traveling North on the PCT. I was doing about 10 miles a day and fishing a lot. I caught about 60 fish, all catch and release with no casualties. They were mostly browns and Rainbows. At Matterhorn Canyon I caught about 15 six inch trout with orange bellies. Does anyone know what kind of fish this is..

One of many

One of my favorite places on this route was Benson Lake. I got there around 3:00pm on the third day and didn't leave till 12:00pm the next day. This was the closest thing to a zero day I had.

Benson Lake with it's beautiful sand beaches.

The next day I started out at noon and got over Seavey Pass just in time to be hit with a thunder storm in Kerrick Canyon. Let me tell you something, if you have never been in a thunder storm in the Sierras, they will humble you with their amazing power. The lightning was striking all around me with less than half a second between flash and thunder. I was pretty unnerved. I pitched my Gatwood cape next to the trail under some small trees in a tiny opening witch happened to be next to the river. I just started to get warm again in my sleeping bag when I heard the river raging next to me start to rise.So I packed up all my stuff again and headed for "higher ground", which is now my trail name dubbed to me by a passing by though hiker named So Far. It was quite an exciting moment for me, but I survived. This was my first such experience.
    As the days went by I could hike more miles and eventually hiked a 20 miler over Sanora Pass. What an amazing place that is. It is like hiking on Mars.

Near Sanora Pass

By the end of the hike I was finally just getting into hiker shape and I felt ready to keep on hiking to Canada, but alas, my living family needed me and it was back to work. I missed them truly, but not work. It was great to be on the PCT and meet about 12 though hikers and feel what it is like to be in their culture. Truly free souls. I hope they realize what they have.
    This was a life changing experience for me and I am now truly bit with the bug. So much more to learn and so many more places to go.
    Some of the gear that really worked for me on this trip was: my Gatwood Cape and serenity bug net,my bug head net and bug spray, my Western Mountaineering Alpinelite, my hiking poles, my big agness clearview pad 66"mummy, my Steripen and BPL 1100 ti pot,my platypus 3 liter hoser, and my 7 piece fly rod. My six moon designs Startlight pack was also really nice although it was overloaded for the first half a week before I ate though some of my food. I did a slight adjustment to my shoulder pads by cutting my thin light sleeping pad in half and folding it a few times and duct taping it to my shoulder pads.

Extra shoulder pad padding.

Here's me at the end of my trip at ebbits pass.

All done

Here are some more photos of my trip.

Fishing at Benson Lake
    1000 mile mark from Mexico North of Lake Wilma
    Gatewood cape at lake benson
    creek north of wilma lake along Jack long Canyon on PCT
    Dorothy Lake
    Jay Wilkerson, Josh and little Jeff
    creek north of return creek
    I think this is Smedberge lake North of Benson Pass

Thanks for reading,
    Josh

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Something went funny with this trip report. The pictures are all over the place and over lapping and the captions are all jumbled. Hope you can still read most of it.
    Josh

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I don't know what happened either, but something silly had damaged the image size data. So I went through and fixed the sizes and sorted out the images. Hope it meets with your approval.
    Nice pics btw!

cheers
    roger caffin

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

What a great trip, Joshua!

I'm glad you continued on, and I hope your friend is doing well. Fantastic pics, too!

I want to go now!

Todd

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

what happened to everyone else???

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

Great trip and wonderful photos…
    it looks just like this one to me which is a golden trout.Golden Trout

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Josh,

Beautiful pictures! The trout you are holding in the first picture is a brook trout. Thanks for sharing!

David

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'd vote for Brook as well. Note the red stripe down the side of the Golden and the grey panniers and black spots in Gail's picture. The multicolored spots, white lines on the fins, and the bright gold color all look like a male brookie in full spawning colors. Pretty spectacular. Nice pictures.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Thank you brother Roger,
    Your changes meet my approval.I appreciate it.
    Josh
    P.S. I love your avatar.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Excellent report, especially the pictures. Thanks.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Your wonderful report is worth several reads. Higher Ground is an awesome trail name.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Thanks Shawn and Linsey,
    It was a life changer.
    Josh

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools