Topic

Moab Day Hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Moab Day Hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

A few pics from early June when I was passing thru on the way to Idaho

Sunset at Moab

Base of Arch

New Arch Forming

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

This one was cheating a little bit, a rest area right off the highway.

View thru arch

The cliff base was a few miles in on a little day hike. I was still wearing a windshirt, it was a little chilly about 5:30 in the AM when I started. The cliff base if followed towards the camera leads to the bottom of the arch.

Cliff Base

I chickened out about 20 feet above this rap station. The way up to the rap was not to bad. It's hard to tell from this angle but it was a little steeper than it looks. The rock angles away at the ascending crack to a good 200 foot drop into the valley below. There were foot steps dug into the sandstone on the way up. Above the rap point the foot steps became more shallow and were filled with wet sand. The higher I got the more wet and crumbly the sandstone became. I got another 30 feet above the rap station. This was one of the few places I have become really nervous when scrambling. The footsteps became so shallow and filled with wet sand that even using a friction slab technique my Hardrocks were slipping. I wanted to let poor instinct choices take over and sit on my butt, but I think I would have slid off the cliff. I would move about 10 feet, stop to relax and control my breathing and then move down again. Exhilarating but nerve wracking.

Rap Station

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

We spent a week down in Moab this year, in May I think it was….we got snowed on….hah!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Chris,
    You brought back some fond memories from a trip to Moab and the surrounding ~15 years ago. I'm surprised we don't see more people post trip reports from there since it's such a great area.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools