Topic

Nano bivy or quilt top + larger tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Nano bivy or quilt top + larger tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

While I realize a quilt/bivy/minimal tarp is UL cutting edge, I'm somewhat old-fashioned in thinking why not just a larger tarp–my first double tarp followed Ray Jardines advice about 2 foot overhangs and besides being a bit heavy and requiring a large footprint, it did great. Then I went to a SpinTwinn and found I needed to drape a (Driduck) raincoat over my legs.

Now, since I think I can get my hands on some Nano (constructed like Epic only lighter), a MYOG bivy seems in order except why not just have a slightly bigger tarp and a quilt with a top made of Nano?

My quilts are Ray-Way kits with Polarquard 3-D and the Draftstopper works awesome on the double quilt. My solo quilt is made of much more breathable military surplus nylon, hence the desire for a bivy or a replacement.

Also, has anyone heard of moisture on an Epic or Nano bag freezing and cutting off all breathability?

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

I've since found out I was wrong about Nano, it is a DWR, not siliconed fiber construction, but does anyone go bivi-less?

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I used to carry a tarp with no bivy and got along just fine. Then I started to find that setting up a tarp to just sleep was getting to be a problem. Finding the right site excluded rocky areas, prairies, treeless summits, etc. To rig the tarp was not always convenient. All I wanted to do was sleep.

Now I just carry a bivy and GG netting and leave the tarp at home. Setting up camp takes as long as just getting horizontal. Very liberating.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

why not a waterproof down quilt? Bivy and Tarp are passe :) see the cuben quilt discussion in MYOG forum.

For insect protection use a permethrin treated groundsheet or just wear your permethrin treated windshirt. headnet or few drops of 100% deet will keep the mosquitos off you.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Wow Michael, you're bivy setup sounds freeing indeed. Tarp spots for two are even harder than one. Lately my hiking goal has been to be really comfortable backpacking multiday in the sometimes very rainy Cascade Mountains and I don't think I could give up a tarp I can cook under in inclement weather. If its clear (unless super windy), I don't set one up (just have it handy).

Any bivy I make (and I'm starting to think I need both a double and a single) would be of the 'wind/water resistant light shell' type rather than the 'weatherproof enough for primary shelter shelter' variety–

Dear Hufeza, You have very visionary ideas but I'm usually slow to adopt change and the cuben quilt just sounds clammy. Now I carry synthetic quilts out of fear of getting the down wet and your idea would solve that but it does seem like more of a solo quilt than a couples quilt.

My most effective bug strategy is to plan my big trips in the fall when they are much diminished. The rest of the time I use something natural (crazy blend of herbal oils handmixed by an employee at a map store–seems to work okay), shell clothing/mitts, and am planning to try netting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools