Topic

Panasonic DMC LX3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Panasonic DMC LX3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Ok, the ideal backpacking camera will never exist, but this could go into the 'worth a look" list.
    Panasonic LX3. As the premium Pana model, the DMC LX3 has an F2/2.8 24-60mm lens and a larger than most 1/1.63-inch 10 MP sensor.
    The F2 /larger sensor and not too many pixel combo, could make this one a possible SLR alternative, note the full manual controls. Just over 9 oz
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072102panasoniclx3.asp
    Interestingly it has the CCD shift (Konica-Minolta ) image stabiliser and not their own in lens version.
    Franco

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Franco,

I've taken a little time to look at this and it does seem promising, not to mention mega-eyecandy. The lens is huge step in the right direction.

That giant LCD seems to have eliminated a lot of controls, making me wonder how many steps it takes to access frequently used settings. I also wonder whether the auxiliary finder zooms or uses framelines to accommodate the zoom lens?

More here:

http://panasonic.net/pavc/lumix/lx3/high_image.html

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

It appears that the viewfinder covers the 24mm angle of view with a 60mm frame insert.
    The 460k 3" LCD might be just good enough to operate in bright daylight (?)
    Yes it does look rather delicious..
    Franco

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

It's one new delicious toy after another!
    My 'new' TZ2 is only a year old and hardly used so by the time I can justify a replacement, the DMC LX3 will have been replaced ! I hope so !
    That hotshoe and viewfinder is wonderful.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the LX2 the preceded it and have *liked* this camera. The lens is great, the feature set was good (raw, 16:9 widescreen sensor) but it wasn't perfect – very slow with raw, noisy beyond ISO 100, did I mention slow?

This new version is interesting – faster lens, 40% better claimed sensitivity for better low light performance, hotshoe. I'm just hoping they gave it a bigger buffer to write those raw files – 8 seconds between images can be a drag.

Sometimes I just drag along the 5D and 24-105 L Lens – it weights more than my baseweight pack…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Wade
    The media release list a "burst" mode at 2.5 frames a second at full resolution. Some have interpreted this to mean RAW, but I have been unable to ascertain this .
    Franco

Michael Smith
    BPL Member

@miksmi

Locale: MD, DC, VA

Wade, how do you carry your Canon 5D and 24-105 L? I'm looking for a way to attach a small camera bag or case to a ULA Catalyst, perhaps on a shoulder strap, for quick access to a Canon 10D.
    ..Mike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools