Topic

thin & light insulation question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear thin & light insulation question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Thinking about the scrim material, it would be great to have a 3D structure made of it – like corrugated cardboard. The result would be light,compressible and will trap some air for more insulation.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Colin:
    I get it now, at first I thought it was a 'quilt' but it's a multilayer bag. Waking damp is ok on a fine day, but the UK's maritime climate is too unpredictable. I'm buying a Spinnshelter off gear swap, so the condensation can roll off that. Maybe the right summer quilt would be a wicked fastbag summerweight long. 12oz with down in. Hard to find secondhand though.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Rog,

I just got some down off the forum and would be willing to make you a bag with it.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Nice offer Tim, I saw the down befre you grabbed it but I don't have the needle skills, metalwork is my forte.
    How about a deal involving some cash plus a couple of my uberlite 2oz kelly kettle/stove combos?

I'd like a no frills quilt with enough width for side sleeping and a closed footbox for solo only use. En deux the WM wins.

There was a couple of yards of black event on gearswap too. How about that for a WR/breathable top? Handkerchief linen would be nice for the lining, but too heavy and insufficiently downproof I guess. I have some spare green parachute nylon I could send over, or do you use something lighter still?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Rog,

I will move this conversation to e-mail

-Tim

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

oops, epic not event. Too late, you grabbed it. Should be fine anyway?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

nothing is final yet so i can back out if you want

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I've ordered a down quilt from Tim. Just thought I'd put that on the record in case he starts playing favourites wih his fellow countrymen when the queue starts to form. :-)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

at this point i have no plans of making any furtur down items. So put your tounges back in your mouths.

After i do this quilt that may change, but don't get your hopes up.

-Tim

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Roger. I have a black, epic shelled quilt. It's great for the damp UK climate. Water just runs off it. Being black, any dampness dries pretty quick too. ;)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Well I used the quilt Tim made me for the first proper outing last weekend. Fantastic.

It's longer than a long golite ultra 20 and weighs less by a fair margin. I slept solidly under a Gatewood cape on a big agnes clearview inflatable with a cheap 2 season foam mat thrown on top of it. Ambient temp was about 6C – 44f. I don't use a bivy.

I wore my light down jacket over a cotton T shirt as I asked Tim to bias the down to the foot end for me. On my legs I wore some acrylic/wool man tights and some light rohan walking trousers.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Rog,
    I would like to see pictures of your completed quilt, any chance?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Thom, I'd be delighted to show you pictures of Tim's handiwork. I'lltake some snaps in daylight tomorrow and post them.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Here's the quilt Tim made for me.

.quilt top

.quilt underside

Custom made to my spec.
    78" long by 48" at the head end tapering to 26" at the foot.
    6oz 900 FP down, biased to foot end.
    1.1oz nylon top and bottom.
    Epic ends to resist condensation
    Snaps and drawcord to close foot, straps for comforter conversion, drawcord at head.
    17oz total weight – amazing for such a large quilt.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

My only issue is with the quilt is how much the down slides around in the baffles. I think I have found the answer to this. I just got 10 meters of Colin's row cover (horticultural fleece) off ebay for a couple of pounds. It's a thin spun polypropylene matting which weighs around 20g/m2. A layer between the shell materials above and below the down would help stop the down shifting a lot, as it's quite 'snaggy'. As it has some insulation value in it's own right, you could propably reduce the amount of down used by a couple of ounces too, which saves $$$.

In fact, I just did an experiment by concertina-ing the 10m of row cover and getting under it, and pulling a 1oz/yd nylon sheet over the top. It was warm. Total weight, 310grams or around 11oz.

I feel a myog project coming together.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Roger,
    Thanks for posting pictures of your quilt, it looks very nice. I enjoy seeing Tim's work, he always does a nice job.

Thom

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Nice quilt indeed. It seems alot like my JRB Shenandoah Quilt however. Same dimensions, but the JRB is 1oz lighter, uses 800+ and is rated to 40-45.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Rog,
    are you sure it's only 78" long? I like a quilt 80 (do use 78 sometimes) but you're another foot over my head (or like 6").

-Tim

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Tim, I measued it with a foot rule, maybe I miscounted. I'll check again. It does come right up to my nose with the footbox closed.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools