Topic

Low budget – 9-day trip gear list (summer)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Low budget – 9-day trip gear list (summer)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Guy Jacques

@fastjack

Hi everyone,

I will be hiking across the “Parc National de la Gaspesie” by the end of July, with my mom, for a 9-day trip. My budget is minimal, so I had to to work with what I already had to lighten my load. Here is my gear list, excluding what I will be wearing, food, water, and fuel:

– Backpack: MEC Alpinelite 45, long (modified)
    – Tent: Exped Venus II (modified)
    – Sleeping bag: MEC Emperor Penguin Windstopper Overbag
    – Sleeping pad: Zotefoams blue, long
    – Stove: MSR WhisperLite Internationale
    – Stove repair kit: MSR WhisperLite Expedition Service Kit
    – Fuel bottle: MSR 33oz
    – Batteries: 8 Energizer e2 lithium AA
    – Map: (modified)
    – Spoon: GSI Tekk
    – Pencil
    – Notebook
    – Compass: Suunto M-3DL NH Leader Baseplate
    – Tape: Duct tape
    – Headlamp: Petzl Myo 3
    – Cookset: Snow Peak Mini Solo
    – Matches: 2 boxes of Coghlan's Wind and Waterproof
    – Water bag: Playtapus 2L
    – Bottle: plastic bottle
    – Water purifier: Pristine (small 2 bottle system)
    – Camera: Cannon
    – Bug repellent: Muskol
    – First-aid kit (3 large pads, 2 large gauzes, bandages, alcohol, etc.)
    – Small camping knife (victorinox)
    – Razor: (modified)
    – Toothbrush: (modified)
    – Rope: Mammouth 2mm (10m long)
    – Extra clothing: 1 t-shirt, 1 pants, 1 underwear, 1 long sleeves, 1 pair of sox, 1 waterproof cap, 1 raincoat (modified)

*Total weight: 17 lbs.*

A few days ago, I started packing my stuff and was discourage how heavy my pack was: All my gears were over 26 pounds, and felt I made an effort. Since I recently had a back injury, I reconsidered everything and took out a pair of scissors. I started cutting the inside of my backpack, where two closed nylon section where present, but I honestly couldn't find any other use than putting walking sticks. After discarding this, I took out two large plastic side loops and the whole frame; I tried my sleeping pad instead, as a frame, and it is working like a charm. For every items, I did cut all obnoxious tags. I took out little ropes on zippers and the tent. I excluded a solid pastic box for my stove repair kit, and simply put it all in a ziplock. I changed the lockable lid for the fuel bottle for an old one, being lighter. The plastic bottle is a light juice bottle. I took out unuseful plastic pieces of my Cannon. I cut my toothbrush and razor to 1/3 of their initial size.

So far, that's the best I could do. I'm having difficulty lowering the weight at this point. Some possible (but dreadful) ideas I had:

– Exclude the toothbrush, razor, plastic bottle, headlamp (with 4 batteries), pencil and notebook, and the stove repair kit, including the compass, since the trail is well marked and I could use the sun.

– Instead of using an overbag, I thought of using a thin layer of polar, since I will already be in a tent, on a sleeping pad, during summer.

Maybe taking off half of the insect repellent.

– The tent is the most heavest item, close to 6 pounds. Unfortunately, my mom really wants to sleep in a tent, and I obviously respect that.

That's about it. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> – Stove: MSR WhisperLite Internationale
    > – Stove repair kit: MSR WhisperLite Expedition Service Kit
    > – Fuel bottle: MSR 33oz
    Replace the lot with a CampingGaz stove and one 450 g gas canister. Much lighter and you can buy canisters where you can't buy liquid fuel.

> – Batteries: 8 Energizer e2 lithium AA
    What on earth for?

> – Headlamp: Petzl Myo 3
    Heavy. Try a little Photon light, or a ReX rechargable.

> – Cookset: Snow Peak Mini Solo
    One 1.5 L pot is enough, plus a couple of light plastic bowls (eg GSI, see reviews here)

> – Matches: 2 boxes of Coghlan's Wind and Waterproof
    Trivial weight, but try a Bic lighter instead.

– Water bag: Playtapus 2L
    – Bottle: plastic bottle
    Take two 1.25 L fizzy mineral water bottles instead. They last very well. Wright about 35 g each.

> – Extra clothing: 1 t-shirt, 1 pants, 1 underwear, 1 long sleeves, 1 pair of sox, 1 waterproof cap, 1 raincoat (modified)
    Take NO cotton clothing at all.
    You don't mention the weight of the raincoat. Consider a light poncho from Au Vieux Campeur instead.

Yeah, the tent is a problem. But tents are expensive, as are packs and sleeping bags. One thing at a time.

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools