Topic

Bear Canisters & ULA Conduit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bear Canisters & ULA Conduit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    stephen wark

@coldworlder

Locale: Green Mountains

muchly

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

The last time I used a canister I found it best when placed right on top of the pack. Make sure the pack is compressed vertically and place it on top with the Y strap on most packs. I did not like it at the bottom as much.

This did surprise me as I figured it would be better at the bottom. However, as long as you keep it in line with the pack (not hanging off) it seems to work well. You also get the advantage of having your food accessible at all times. If I were to put it inside I would definitely place it vertically in the pack as one of the photos in this post showed. That works for me.

I like the Garcia canister over the BearVault. I think the Garcia is easier to open. Renting a Bearicade is what I will do next time I have to use a canister, but, you can't beat the $5.00 rental fee from the Forest Service for the others. I am hoping for URSACK approval.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools