Topic

vindication for MYOG approach

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear vindication for MYOG approach

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Williams

@deadogdancing

Locale: SW England

Well, Erin and Hig have finished their journey. I won't blurble on this practical part of the forums about how much they've inspired me, and how much of the Right Stuff I think they've showed. I just thought I'd note that towards the end of their journey a bear shredded their shelter, their sleeping mats, and made a hole in one of their boats.

Instead of bailing out, they and their friend sat down for 24 hours with what must have been a LOT of dental floss and restored everything to working condition. Would they have had the confidence and the skills to do that if they hadn't made so much of their own stuff over the years?!

I'm sure other posters on this forum can supply further stories!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hmmmm, I've never felt a need for vindication of my MOYG fun … but Erin's Hig's experience IS a prime example of "the more you know, the less you need"

mark henley

@flash582

That's a very interesting thought that I had not considered before.

I would have to agree …. making your own gear gives you more freedom to reduce redundencies in your kit by building your own knowledge on what repairs will work and which ones won't, as well as the speed at which you can get a repair done.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools