Topic

MYOG Inverted Downdraft Woodgas Stove – My Attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Inverted Downdraft Woodgas Stove – My Attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

I've been reading a lot about wood burning stoves and have tried a couple that a friend built. The soot that gets on the sides and bottom of the pot, is it always "sticky"?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

While I was taking out the trash the other I accidentally came across something very cool. A 10.5oz campbells soup pull tab can fits inside a Del-Monte pear halves pull tab can snug with virtually no leaks. I went ahead and punched the holes similar to Brian's paint cans. It seems to work beautifully. Can't find my camera but I'll post pics when I do. As far as sticky residue it is probably your fuel. It isn't really soot but creosote. IMHO

Thomas Graham

@tomasito

John Roan said:

Surprisingly enough, the walls of a Sapporo can are thin steel, only the top and bottom at aluminum. Still very light. Just too small for my testing.

What source do you have for this fact? Just curious.

Thomas Graham

@tomasito

The Sapporo can does indeed appear to be significantly heavier – empty weight is about 9 g for 650 ml can, versus Foster's at 3.1 g for a 750 ml can.

J Morneau

@jemor143

This thread is great!
    Last year I built the paint can stove, but I have to tweek the air intakes a bit…

Look what I found here: http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=351&p=3
    It's in french, but the pictures are great. The guy use a double wall stainless steel mug to built his stove. It's on the heavy side, but it certainly won't rust or get dent. Nice KISS design!
    Most of the mug I found on the web were too small (around 10-14oz), but there are a few 20 oz models that would do a great job. If you want a bigger stove, stainless steel wine buckets or coolers would be a great choice (approx 9" x 5")

Mug wood gas

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As Rand Lindsey knows I purchased the CC Sidewinder (ti) setup for alky, ESBIT and the Inferno woodburner W/ a 3 cup pot. I told him I wanted to make it adjustable for other pot sizes and he said to let him se it when I finished. First attempts with aluminum flashing material were not successful but came close. It's a matter of trial and error to get the right slot distances for a good fit to the larger (1 L.) pot. Obviously I'd also have to make an insert for the inner Inferno cone as well.

A slot-and-tab method has been my prefered experimental method of attatching any "expander". One could use a few very narrow, short slots to do this without compromising the downdraft design too much IMO. I've found he tab needs to be "hooked" on the bottom side to keep it from slipping out of the slot. Getting the bottom of the tab the correct height is crucail to keep the top edge of the cone level all the way around.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools