Topic

MSR Hyperflow Prefilter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MSR Hyperflow Prefilter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

The prefilter for the MSR Hyperflow is a little large for some of the small flow streams that I run into so I have been looking for an alternative. I machined down a filter body with a hose barb this morning that looks promising. It works great in the sink. I'll let you know how it works in the field after my trip this weekend. Here's the photo:

Smaller Pre-filter

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

I wouldn't want to do this because the "stingray" shape of the prefilter helps keep the hose in place rather than flopping around while pumping in shallow stream.

How did your idea work?

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Mixed results… As it turns out the water supply on Mt. Mitchell was almost nonexistent. The stock prefilter would have made it impossible to get any water filtered. I had to filter out of a small pool fed by a VERY slow trickle. There was a significant amount of sediment in the water. The prefilter worked well but the filter screen initially. Unfortunately, the filter screen wasn't that well retained compared to the amount of vacuum the pump creates. As a result the screen collapsed in. I could fix it by placing a support mesh behind it but I think I'm going to go with the prefilter that comes with the Sweetwater filters.

Nick –

@byproxy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

posted this on the same thread in the gspot, but since the thread is here too… thought i'd post as well in case some of you diyers don't check over there:

I know this is an old post, but wanted to follow up now that the filter has been out for a couple years.

I like the filter but the big-flat prefilter kind of bugs me. I too would like to swap out for a smaller prefilter. I have my old first need filter prefilter that would work fine (in terms of fit)

First Need Prefilter

but wanted to make sure first that in doing so I didn't cause any damage or anything to the filter.

Thanks for the info!

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

My Hyperflow has been working really well after the warranty replacement filter cartridge. I still use the stock pre-filter most of the time but when its a small water source I use one a SweetWater pre-filter:

Pre-filter

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=msr0086

Don Meredith

lightpack.blogspot.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools