Topic

Keeping Biting Flies Away?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keeping Biting Flies Away?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

DEET and Permethrin together do a great job keeping mosquitos, ticks, and many other insects away — but not big, mean and ugly biting flies!

REI sells Jungle Juice Plus — a DEET repellant with R-326. Any user care to comment on its effectiveness against biting flies?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ben,
    Just last weekend I was swarmed with hundreds of small files on a day trip. They did not bite; I think they wanted salt or something.. and they landed in eyes, nostrils, ears, mouth, anywhere they could get what they wanted. It was miserable. I am NEVER going out again without my $1 bug hood and gloves. Or better yet a ringed version. My bug spray did nothing to deter them.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Brett, where did you get a 1 buck hood and gloves?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Brett — wearing noseeum hoods and gloves is one good option.

Anybody else? Anyone with experience with R-326 / Jungle Juice Plus or other repellants?

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

last fall i got caught without my head net in the cascades. by the second day i was completely insane from hitting my self in the head so many times. i was covered in jungle juice.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Chris:

Yeah, those flies are vicious! I too use REI Jungle Juice — but it's the Jungle Juice Plus with the added R 326 ingredient that I am curious about.

Anyone?

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

wanted to bump this. has anyone used this stuff this season?? inquiring minds want to know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools