Topic

Injinji Socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Injinji Socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I just ran a half-marathon out on the trails behind my house in my first pair of Injinji's…I think they're great, probably going to become my go-to distance running sock.
    Usually on runs of 10+ miles I get hot spots/mild blisters between some toes, but not with these.
    I'd definitely recommend them so far- I'm anxious to see how they feel doing 20+ mile days backpacking.
    Any other users?

Oh, here's their site for those that haven't seen them:
    http://www.injinji.com/

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

They completely stopped my blisters, and returned me to pain-free hiking! I can't say enough about them!

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

They are awesome. Trail running at 20+ miles, 30K race, 50K race and I will be wearing them at the JFK 50-miler this year. Two HUGE thumbs up for Injinji.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have also been super happy with injinji socks… but they took some getting used to. They have been my goto socks for the last year or two. They have been worn multiple 15-20 miles days in a row without a break. No blisters.

I tried them around 6 years ago on several trips but couldn't get used to the material between my toes. After a lot of positive reports I tried them again around 2 years ago. It took several trips to get used to them. Actually, I still think they feel weird, but their performance speaks for themselves.

I have never gotten a blister between my toes which I almost always would before using injinji. I have only gotten one blister… on my heel because the inner liner worn through my trail runners on a second day of a 4 day trip and put more friction on my heel than normal. I currently consider Injinji to be are perfect socks for me.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I'm also converted. Any non-cotton 5 toe sock works well for me. Ive tried synthetic, silk, and wool. Synthetic lasts the longest; the others only a few days.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

One thing to be aware of with the toe socks is the fabric between the toes jamming into the toe web space while doing downhill and causing sore spots or worse. Every now and then I have to stop and pull the fabric away from the web space before going downhill again.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

> fabric between the toes jamming into the toe web space while
    > doing downhill and causing sore spots or worse

I have not had that experience. My trips in the sierras regularly drop 2-3k in a day, with several trips where I dropped 5K feet in a day. So far I haven't had this problem. Of course, people's experiences vary.

–mark

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I use these socks for running fairly frequently but have had the "between the toes" fabric jamming problem while backpacking on downhills. They are very thin so if you rely on your socks for cushioning you'll need to layer.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

They take maybe 30 minutes to get used to them. On hot days they keep my feet from getting overly sweaty. Anything to prevent blisters that works is good for me!

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

I'll add another positive review of injinji socks: quick drying, quite comfortable after you get used to them, and durability seems pretty good so far. I sometimes get blisters between my toes, and managed to avoid this problem entirely during a recent trip to Utah between the injinji socks and a pair of golite sun dragons with a very generous toe box (if your shoes are already on the tight side, these might not work too well due to the extra fabric between each toe).

I did not use them continuously, but rather switched them out with some thicker darn tough merino socks. I really liked the option of giving my feet two very different "looks" switching back and forth through the day. One piece of advice is to try these out on a long run or day hike before committing to them on an extended trip- I can see some people just not getting used to them.

James

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Many, many, long runs and hikes later, they're still my favorites!!!!

Bernard Campo
    BPL Member

@anewconvert

I love my toe socks, but they had one unforeseen problem. They added just enough width to my toes fromt he fabric between them that I can wear them with my boots. Causes my pinky and big toe to run against the wallof the boot. So I cant wear em when using my boots, which I only use during the winter so thats not a huge issue.

BC

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I converted to Injinji socks around two years ago and haven't looked back. 90% of my hiking and backpacking is in a pair of Teva sandals and I love the combination. No blisters between my toes and I can wiggle my toes all day long. When I'm going to be out in really cold weather, I add a smartwool hiking sock over the Injinjis to keep my tootsies warm.

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am also a convert of the socks – on long trips (several days), I will suffer from little toe rubbing – even though I have wide shoes.

After switching to the Injinji the problem went away.

I have noticed durability issues with the socks however – I used the hiker version (thicker) and they appear to develop holes between and around the toes (yes I trim my toenails) after about 7 days of wear. Thus on my TRT last year I went thru 2 pairs in 2 weeks (kind of expensive).

Has others seen durability issues with the socks?

Stephen Sherwood

@ssherwood

Yes I believe they are good socks also but I think they wear-out to easy, I buy 8 – 10 pair a year, they get holes in them up by the toes & also the balls of the feet, i've ran 100 mile trail runs in them but when i'm done they are thinned in the areas i've explained, but they are priceless for the blister prevention.
    Stephen Sherwood

Anonymous
    Inactive

I, too, have experienced durability issues with the Injinji's, but I have found that wearing a pair of CoolMax liner socks over the Injinji's greatly extends their durability, at least for me. Mine were wearing out on the top of the second toe because I have Morton's toe, but using the liners has practically elminated the problem.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Look at it this way:

Yes, the socks are not cheap at $14 to 18 a pair. But…..

Compared to the old days of using $2 a day in special blister bandaids….and spending a week or two in healing time on long trips afterward, the cost is little. ;-)

It is something I have no issue justifying! The concept of being blister free is priceless!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I own the coolmax and other makes of the injinji socks. I had a pair of the wool ones, and they wore out incredibly fast. I took those back to REI and got a different pair.

I've had no real problems with the coolmax ones; 3 years and counting.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools