Topic

Has anyone switched back to a non-mapping GPS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Has anyone switched back to a non-mapping GPS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Happy Independence Day!

As much as I enjoy a mapping GPSR, I wonder about the simplicity and–dare I say–"purity" of a waypoint-only/UTM-coordinates-only GPSR. Just a paper map, a GPSR, and a plastic UTM tool to translate UTM coordinates to/from a USGS topo map.

I imagine the advantages of a non-mapping GPSR are (in no order):
    –faster display refresh
    –cheaper (the unit itself and of course no digital maps)
    –smaller, lighter
    –faster downloads to the GPSR
    –longer battery life
    –lower fiddle-factor

However, there don't seem to be any updated (SiRF, USB) hiking (non-exercise), non-mapping GPSRs (Geko 201/301)… are they a dying breed?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just bought a Garmin Colorado 300 and I wouldn't go "backwards", technologically speaking.

Eric

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've went from basic GPS to full mapping PDA's. I only carry a basic GPS in winter now.
    I'm praying that someone out there is developing a watch that displays co-ordinates only. No fancy toys, no PC compatability, nothing. Just a watch that tells me where i am!:)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jim Yancey

@jimyancey

Locale: Missouri

I am still using my old, clunky Magellan 315. I have used some really tricked-out, more "modern", GPS units, but I still prefer the old monochrome beasty. I really like the interface and the menu layout, and the ease of inputting a projected waypoint.

I ALWAYS carry a paper topo map (usually a waterproof paper map with UTM grids) and compass, and use the GPS only as an additional navigational tool. I prefer large maps so I can view my position in the context of the larger detailed landscape, something that can't effectively be done with a small screen. I use UTM, and, again, I can do that with either the paper map or the GPS unit.

To me, the value of a GPS receiver is to easily find my position so I can verify it on my paper map, especially in terrain with few navigational landmarks or adverse conditions (e.g. heavy forest cover, swamp, nighttime, heavy snow, etc.) I don't need lots of bells and whistles to do that. My ideal GPS receiver would be cheap, very lightweight, very small size, miserly with battery consumption, have both lat/lon and UTM coordinates, be able to use at least WGS 84 and NAD 27 datums, store a few waypoints, project coordinates into waypoints, and mark locations as saved waypoints. I don't need color screens, map displays, or any of the other myriad "enhancements" that seem so prevalent. My old 315 meets most of those requirements, with the exception of size and weight.

My $0.02. I would welcome comments, observations, opposing viewpoints….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools