Topic

Sleeping Pad Warmth In The Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Sleeping Pad Warmth In The Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

This winter season I will be starting to do some ski touring and showshoe trips. I have winter camped before but never the Lightweight way. I am looking at lightweight options available so that I can keep the good ole weight down. I would be going into the Sierra’s from January-April. I own a Western Mountaineering Antelope down bag too if that helps.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Does anyone know of a source for a torso length down or synthetic insulated inflatable mattress?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Insul Mat Max Thermo possibly?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Warmlite will cut any of the 4 DAM’s they make short for you. You still pay the regular price and you tell them which model and how long you want it made.

I have talked to them about doing one for me but I can’t decide how long I want it.

John Chan

@ouroboros

Why don’t you just get a down-filled air mattress from Outdoor Research?

I believe they make two thicknesses. The Exped 7 is 2″ and the Exped 9 is 3.5″. I believe the Exped 7 comes in 3/4 length as well.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I don’t like the Exped. The Warmlite is warmer (7oz of Down vs 5oz for the Exped)) much higher “R” value and easier to blow up. But that is just my opinion.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

The Warmlite DAM is also considerably lighter than the Exped. Additionally, if Stephenson’s is using the same down as their sleeping bags, the down is 850+ down while Exped uses 700+ down. Therefore, as Bill indicates, the Warmlite DAM should be warmer (due to higher loft and more down).

Rich

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Bill said,
    “much higher “R” value and easier to blow up. “
    I would just like to note that I dont recomend blowing into a down filled air matress because of the moisture. so just from looking I think the exped would be a better choice because the stuf sack acts as a pump so you dont harm your precious down
    scroll to the bottom of this page to see pics http://www.moontrail.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html

but I dont use either of theese so I would recomend using a combo of a Gossamer gear thinlight and thermarest ridgerest for a warm pad

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I use the Exped 7 std length, however they do have a 3/4 length that is much lighter.BTW I have noticed that some have problems with inflating them. A much easier way for me than the recommended one is to hold the valve with one hand (so that it does not pop out) shake the bag from the inside with the other, to create volume, fold and pump down holding the bag up rather than rolling on the ground as shown by Exped.This helps if you are pressed for space.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Bill said,
    “much higher “R” value and easier to blow up. “

Ryan F said
    “I would just like to note that I dont recomend blowing into a down filled air matress because of the moisture.

[Gee, do you think you are the only one that ever had that thought]

so just from looking

[looking at what/where Ryan F.??]

“I think the exped would be a better choice because the stuf sack acts as a pump so you dont harm your precious down

[“harm my precious down?? that doesn’t sound very friendly Ryan F]

scroll to the bottom of this page to see pics http://www.moontrail.com/sleeping_pads/exped_downairmattress.html”

[As far as looking at the Moontrail web site, they are located maybe about 12 miles from my house and I have seen and touched most everything they have that I had any interest in. I have been there 5 or 6 times in the last few months and have another visit planned soon.]

“but I dont use either of theese so I would recomend using a combo of a Gossamer gear thinlight and thermarest ridgerest for a warm pad”

[been there done that. My interest is in sleeping warm in my Hammock down to at least 0 degrees. The DAM helps me do that without all the underpad/overpad stuff.]

Ryan F: Maybe it just your age, I was beginning to think you were a very bright and well read young man. You don’t seem to know anything about how the Warmlite DAM works. “IF” you HAD any creditability I think you have now lost a lot of it. If you do some real research and check out the Warmlite web site you might get a surprise, I expect you will get more than one surprise.

So Ryan F. we all say/write things that sometimes come back to bit us. It has also happened to me at least once in my life, I think. We get over it, you have done good here, I think we all still like you.

As a side note, you may not be old enough to look at the Warmlite web site. I only say that so no one can say I didn’t warn you.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Sorry if I offended you any way Bill I did not mean to in at all. I was just trying to say that the down would not work as well if you add the moisture,and I called the down “precious” because it is what gives the pad its warmth. also when I said “your” I was reffering to anyone who owns the pad I was not directing it twords you. I liked the idea of the stuffsack/pump so I recomended it, but made sure I mentioned I had neither of the pads, so my remarks werent completely valid.
    I was not at all trying to attack you, I know you are more experienced than me and would never dream of making fun of you.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Once again sorry for the misunderstanding. I think you thought I was talking to you individually but I ment to be speaking to the forum in genral

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Gee, Bill, you sound almost as crotchety as ‘ole Jack
    himself over at the Stephenson Skunk Works. To be fair to young Ryan, I never thought much of the DAM concept in years past. An old climbing partner had lots of trouble with his Stephenson model (leaks,bad seals,bad pump) and eventually threw his away. Sounds (in theory) like a nice idea for you hammocking types. Decadence , sheer decadence.

Give the kid a break –he seems to have a fast learning curve and soon will have the width and breadth of outdoor equipment figured out better than the likes of us do now.

Tsk,tsk—contibuting to the deliquency of a minor
    by suggesting he check out the Stephenson Website. ;-)>

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ryan, great insight and Bill too, heck all of you. I just want to figure out a lightweight pad option for snow camping. I have bought a Thinlight insulation pad to back up whatever I end up purchasing. Exped I completely forgot about. I will take a look. More so than not me, I want my wife to be warm so that she will enjoy the backcountry in the winter like I do. She is a cold sleeper so my goal is to make her warm as possible. Me, I am a warm sleeper.

PS Ryan your ok it did not come out like you were attacking Bill. BTW for someone your age (and how old are you) you seem to have some good knowledge, good for you.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Im 13 and have been backpacking since I was 11. I understand I am not as experienced as most of you (Ihave only had this supscription for 3 months) but I think I have enough knowledge to give some valuble advice in theese forums.I mean, I do carry a sub 4 pound load while backpacking, some experience required ( I started with a 40 pound load, and lightened with no help)

p.s. Ken, sorry to have turned your forum into a conflict, I didnt mean to

Anonymous

Last winter on my single snowshoe trip with temps down to zero Farenheit, I used the Thermarest Ultralight 3/4 plus the MEC bivy pad (about 6 oz. 5 mm evazote pad) and was comfy in a tent with two other persons using a 20 degree bag.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Hey Ryan I have only been packing for 5 years and I have a baseweight of 10. You’re on a fast learning curve and you do give out some great knowledge. Keep it up. No need to aplogise my friend, you did nothing wrong. Bill must have just misunderstood you. It is easy to do when the communication medium is just written. By you writing your post it has got me to thinking about purchasing the Exped for my winter camping. Thanks.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Ryan F. I hope you read to the end of my post. If you did you should be able to tell that I am not upset. At my age I don’t have enough time left to waste it on being upset. I can remember very clear back about 52 years ago when I was 13. My father made me a board pack frame at about that age. I got to help some. It was out of somekind of Boy Scout project book. It later got passed on to my brothers.

I thought it was really funny that even though the Stephenson’s DAM also uses the stuff sack to blow it up, you didn’t know that. Old Jack is still kicking and may even have invented the blow-up bag.

An I did warn you about the web site.

Got to go, one of my cats wants some attention, he is 19 years old.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Kevin,

I hope that your friend’s experience was an exception. I have not had the chance to use mine much at this point. But, assuming it works well without a problem, it is not decadent. Though I am vertically challenged at 5″ 6″ tall, my Stephenson’s Warmlite DAM (70″ long)weighs 20.2 oz and the stuff/pump sack weighs 2.8 oz. I put the whole package in a .5 oz #3 Granite Gear Stuff Sack.

Ken, take note this DAM is substantially lighter and should be warmer than the Exped pads. Additionally, I have not had a problem with the pump sack filling the DAM and it is supposed to work more easily than the Exped pump sack. Also, if there is a problem maintaining pressure with the Warmlite pump sack, it is recommended to seam seal the sack.

Rich

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I’m not convinced that the materials used in the DAM are rugged enough for for winter mtneering. Granted, the weight and the basic theory are very compelling for the insulation and comfort given(when working). The only thing more efficient as an insulator (if uncompressed) would be Aerogel—now that’s something I would like to see entering the realm of outdoor equipment. But shell and shell seam durability questions in the mtneering applications I’d use it in make the DAM problematic. Plus my 1st hand experience of watching a grown man suffer, his sleepless, freezing nights, reduced to a quivering shell of the buff mountaineer, he once was, while using one. :-)>

I don’t think that all Stephenson products are this fragile. I have nothing but good things to say about the tents.

For the record, in winter I used to use an UL Thermarest in conjunction with a 1/4″ evazote pad. This winter I’ll be using a Torso-lite and a GG Thinlight. The combo is quite a bit lighter than the DAM (if more bulky) and comfort and warmth levels will be adequate.

William Siemens

@alaskaman

One here has expressed a preference for the Stephenson’s mat over the Exped…could be, I haven’t tried both. I will say that the Exped 9 is wonderful, very warm….on a subzero night, in a floorless tent, I spent part of the night on a 2″ Thermarest LE topped with a 3/8″ closed cell mat, and part on the Exped DAM. The Exped was noticably warmer…Should be, I guess, it is fairly heavy. Due to a divorce in progress I have been sleeping on the Exped for about 4 months now…no leaks, no letdown…I like it. Cheers, Bill

William Siemens

@alaskaman

One here has expressed a preference for the Stephenson’s mat over the Exped…could be, I haven’t tried both. I will say that the Exped 9 is wonderful, very warm….on a subzero night, in a floorless tent, I spent part of the night on a 2″ Thermarest LE topped with a 3/8″ closed cell mat, and part on the Exped DAM. The Exped was noticably warmer…Should be, I guess, it is fairly heavy. Due to a divorce in progress I have been sleeping on the Exped for about 4 months now…no leaks, no letdown…I like it. Cheers, Bill

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

question about these pads/mattresses:
    how much down is in them? does it fill the whole void/channel/air space? or does it collect in a layer at the bottom? (obviously, i know nothing about them – never seen one, only the ones w/o down.)

=========================
    Ryan,

13? thought i had read “14” before in another Thread (at the very least in a post by someone else referring to your age). was it a “typo”? you got this BPL “sub” for a birthday gift from your mom, right? you “growing” younger there fella? :) we’d respect you whether you’re 14, 13, or even younger (i wouldn’t mind being 13 again – especially knowing what i know now about life).

you sure do write like you’re much older. you’re obviously quite bright. don’t worry about being misunderstood in Posts. it happens from time to time – as i can sure tell you. it can be difficult to be both concise and clear (i’m neither!!!).

you probably already know this, but Bill seems to be very high on everybody’s list of favorites (especially mine – the guy is amazing). you did a good thing apologizing for the misunderstanding. as a wise old Jewish king once said, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up strife.” [note: for the older readers, it might be also applied this way, basically, in a “bar room” scene, it means “if i keep my mouth closed, i keep all my teeth”! (you never know how many friends the other guy has!) as it turns out, this wisdom also works well in Backpacking Forums.]

take care Bill and Ryan. i’m looking fwd to reading much more from you both, and some more great pics from Bill (always seem to learn something from you, Bill. thanks.).

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Ken..I am a 47 year old female…I sleep VERY cold…Take my advice and buy the DAM. It will be one of the best gifts you can buy your wife. They are fabulous and well worth the extra weight. Some of them do have problems with slow leaks. I reccommend blowing it up..putting weight on it and leaving it there for a week-somewhere that does not have climate controll if possible. I would perform this test at least twice before I went out on a trip with it.

Anonymous

Hey two 3/4 size Z-rests work just fine for real cold. Like the -50F stuff one can expect to see in the ‘Dacks in NY. And they don’t deflate neither.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools