Topic

Bear bag – what sack are you using?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear bag – what sack are you using?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I've been searching the forum for discussions regarding what sack is being used to store food in a bear bag system. I found lots of discussion regarding the line used but little on what sacks are being used. From what I gather some use waterproof sacks and others used mesh bags with oder proof sacks.

I'm currently using a 4.1 ounce 900 CI Outdoor Research Hydroseal Dry Sack but would like to cut this weight at least in half. Since I frequently need to store food for 1 adult and 1 child for up to 5 days I like the 900 CI size. I'm not opposed to using mesh but my initial impression is that by using a waterproof sack I reduce the smells from the bag somewhat.

So, on to my questions:
    1) what are you using for a sack?
    2) how much does it weigh?
    3) do you have an approach to reduce smells from the food bag? (e.g. OP sacks?)

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I don't depend on the bag to block odor, I use odor proof saks from Watchful Eye. However, these are delicate, therefore I put these in an ordinary nylon stuff sack made with 1.1 oz ripstop.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Sea 2 Summit ultrasil 8L

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I generally use a white plastic bag from Walmart or Target. If you hang it high enough and far enough away from the trunk, it really doesn't matter.

Tried a RatSack; tried an Ursack; even tried an MSR Stowaway pot that latches down to form a waterproof seal. All are good, but are bulky, expensive, and heavy. Cheap plastic bags perform their function and are FREE and very light. Have to tie it up in a knot if it rains, but have never had my new bag invaded. So I get a little extra use before I recycle.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

900 c.i. OR Helium sack. Weighs 1.1 oz. I hang it upside down to prevent precip collection as the cordlock closure is not waterproof.

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

1) I use a homemade silnylon stuff sack.

2) It weighs 0.4 oz

3) My food is all packaged in ziploc bags. I don't do anything special to try and reduce smell.

aaron mount

@amount

Locale: Sierra Foothills

Check out the Large "Blast" Food Bag. Great price on a Cuben item and great service from the site.

http://zpacks.com/accessories/spec_sacks.shtml

I'm trying one out this weekend.

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Joe (of Z-packs fame) recently made me a cuben food/bear bag. It has worked great so far and, as always, service was great!

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Integral Designs Silcoat Stuff Sack XL (1.3 oz) Yellow for visibility.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

I use my home made 2.3 oz silnylon pack cover. I really like it because number one, you're multi tasking a piece of gear, and #2, when it comes to meal time, it spreads out nice so you can find things easier.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Oven bag liner, twist closed, sheet bend knot

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools