Topic

8.8g SUUL remate canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 8.8g SUUL remate canister stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi John

> wants to shut down the thread
    NEVER! I do not think anyone could cite anything I have written which would remotely suggest that I want to shut this thread down. True, I did point out that BPL could not accept any liability – sadly CYA is needed these days.

Yes, I did urge caution and thinking about safety. Read what Tony wrote afterwards about the accidents he has had with the fuels. I too have had a few errant flames pop out in unexpected places, leading to a very fast hitting of the primary shutoff-valve. But surely urging caution is acceptable?

> This second one a describes a piece of plastic line but withholds any suggestion or even a hint of how to make or acquire the active part of this stove
    Well, that might be one interpretation, but it would be seriously wrong.

Base-line fact: as far as I know, you can't buy such commercial fittings expressly designed for little stoves, nor can you buy any other parts except as whole stoves. Pulling them apart is always possible. You can buy the neat Brunton Stove Adapter, and you will find my MYOG article on using that here at BPL.

You can buy lab fittings for non-flammible gases, but they are usually rather large and heavy. Tony has used some on SS tubing and posted photos here at BPL, but both of use worry about fractures in metal lines after lots of bending.

Both Tony and I have run many experiments with numerous sorts of fuel lines and home-made couplings, and made many mistakes, and I don't think either of us has a perfect solution yet for any of this. Sure, I could try to describe some of the ideas for safe couplings which I have tested, but none of them are good enough yet. I am not sufficiently confident about their safety in the field yet. Except that I am happy to recommend Teflon and PFA tubing as sold by the likes of Cole-Palmer for lab use, and did so. They have acceptable pressure and temperature ratings imho.

It seems to me far wiser to alert you to the potential hazards instead, so that you know what could go wrong. An alert and educated experimenter is far safer than someone following a cookbook.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Seeing this pop up over and over again when I sign on to look at new posts is starting to get on my nerves. This whole thing was blown out of proportion. Just let it go.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Top work Tony.

A couple of years ago when I was backpacking in Spain I took a 72g gas stove, and couldn't find a shop to sell me a canister of gas.

This year I took my 2oz kelly kettle to Sardinia, and couldn't buy any burning alcohol.

Both times I ended up making a woodburner out of a food can, and twigs were plentiful, but frowned on in countries with forest fire problems.

With a long term trip round the world in mind, I'd like to carry a versatile setup. A woodburner which will double as the mount and windshield for a remote canister setup and an alcohol burner too.

I'm happy with my 4g alcohol burner design, and one of your gas burners looks like the thing to have for the gas option. Let me know when I can have a production model!

Couple of questions:

Does gauze make an effective flashback arrestor for gas? Very thin guage brass gauzes are easily available in head shops.

What thread are the gas canister valve unions? Do you threadcut or tap these into your valve assemblies?

To the people beefing about Roger C's disclaimers – get a life!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Rog,

>Let me know when I can have a production model!

I have had quite a few offers to buy my stoves, I have looked into it, unfortunately it is not as simple as just making and selling them. I do not have the financial resources to make these stoves for sale.

>Does gauze make an effective flashback arrestor for gas? Very thin guage brass gauzes are easily available in head shops.

gauze can make an effective flashback arrestor, I did try it in some of my prototypes but found if the burner plate holes are small enough it was not needed.

>What thread are the gas canister valve unions? Do you threadcut or tap these into your valve assemblies?

The thread is the standard Lindal valve thread 7/16 28 TPI UNEF. I was using a lathe to cut threads but it took a long time to do on my lathe so I purchased a tap and them ground bottom off to get depth.

>To the people beefing about Roger C's disclaimers – get a life!

What happened on this thread has certainly made me think about if I want to post my myog stoves on this forum again. I make my stoves for enjoyment and post them for others to see what can be done and hopefully inspire others to do get into myog canister stove making, it is certainly not a money making venture, all funding for equipment and materials for my stoves comes from my own pocket, I have never received money for posting my designs.

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Rog
    It would be hard to find a supermarket in Italy that does not stock alcohol for the Trangia. It's in the household cleaning section (alcool denaturato).

?Italian metho

I also find hard to believe that there is a conflict between Roger's efforts in suggesting lighter gas stove designs and warnings about safety. Could it be that it is the messenger that is attacked rather than the message ?
    Isn't the same when someone will talk about cooking inside a vestibule and at the same time warning that it can be dangerous ?
    I also find it rather amusing how often after the original poster explains that he spent 10-20-40 hours making his doo-dah that forum members want a commercial version of it. I guess most here work for $2 or $3 an hour…
    Franco
    Tony
    You are a master crafter, but you know that. Can I buy the sub 10g version for $29.95 (inc postage) ?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Franco,

thanks for your comments.

>Can I buy the sub 10g version for $29.95 (inc postage) ?

Sure you can by the sub 10g stove for that price but you have the decimal place out by two places and I will leave it up to you to decide which way and for that price I will hand deliver it.

Tony

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Does gauze make an effective flashback arrestor for gas?
    Yes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_lamp

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rog

> A couple of years ago when I was backpacking in Spain I took a 72g gas stove, and couldn't find a shop to sell me a canister of gas.
    You might find things have changed. Gas canisters are spreading fast.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi Franco,
    >It would be hard to find a supermarket in Italy that does not stock alcohol for the Trangia. It's in the household cleaning section (alcool denaturato)

I scoured the cleaning section in a small supermarket in Sardinia, but to no avail. The nearest thing was BBQ lighting fuel, which IMO is too weak for stoves.

But thanks anyway, I least I know the name of the stuff now, nomore charades at petrol stations and hardware stores :-)

Roger:
    >You might find things have changed. Gas canisters are spreading fast.

I finally found one in a proper gear shop in Andorra la Vella 3 days before the end of our trip!

The small villages in N.E. Spain just don't have them.

Moral, pre-plan a trip to a major city sports shop before setting off into the campo when visiting spain if you must have gas. The denatured alcohol is pretty ropey there too.

Next project. UL leibig condenser!

Tony: Don't you dare stop posting. The internet is full of opinions, just ignore the ones you don't need to respond to.

I have access to a lathe and mill, thanks for the thread info, and nice work with the plug tap production. Make sure you cool taps frequently as you grind them, or anything harder than aluminium will wreck them afterwards.

Any chance of a PM on wall thicknesses, jet size etc? If you can't supply them, I'm going to MYOG to your design!

s k

@skots

Tony,

>"I make my stoves for enjoyment and post them for others to see what can be done and hopefully inspire others"

And it sounds like your succeeding on both fronts, Tony. No reason to let a side conversation mess up a good thing.

Looking forward to version???
    skots

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Tony, your work is truly inspirational. I think that most of us have blown off any fuss on this thread as overwrought dramatics. Please keep us updated with your experiments! (What can I say? There's no way I could build what you do–so I live somewhat vicariously through your stove designs.)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Rog

> I finally found one in a proper gear shop in Andorra la Vella 3 days before the end of our trip!
    Curious.
    We did the GR11 e2e in 2004, and had no trouble buying (French) gas canisters when we needed them. Perhaps this mainly applies to the GR11 and Chemin de St Jacques?

Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools