Topic

SUL Quilt Project Finished!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear SUL Quilt Project Finished!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Locale: Sierra

I had posted a thread a while ago, asking for information on materials to make a super light quilt. I finished the quilt about 2 weeks ago and tested in this weekend. Although, I only used it in temps down to about 50 deg, I hope that it will keep me warm down to 40. I used it drapped over me with no additinal clothing, only pants and a T shirt. I had to snap the neck closure and draw the girth in a bit, in the middle of the night, but other than that, the comfort was great.

Here are the specs-
    Momentum Shell
    Silk Liner (0.5mm)
    Climashield XP (2.5oz)
    closed round footbox
    1 adjustable back strap
    snap closure at neck
    w/ griptese drawcord

Shoulder Width: 42"
    Foot Width: 33"

Weight: 8.6oz (my goal was 8oz, but went over at the expense of the extra features)

Pics:
    Quilt Shell

Quilt Foot

Quilt Liner

Quilt Drawcord

Quilt Snap

Quilt User

I made this quilt the same size as my Nunatak Ghost, but some how ended up with a smaller footbox. It would be nice to have a slightly bigger footbox with a size 11 foot, but it isn't that bad. The Silk Liner was a good weight saver, but it is very fragile, and requires extra caution when using the quilt. A sharp toe nail could probably rip it.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Great looking quilt Shawn.

I really like the roomy footbox! Nice touch!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Shawn

Looks good.

> 1 adjustable back strap
    > snap closure at neck
    > w/ griptese drawcord

Interesting idea. The quilts I have made for my wife and I are similar but have 300 g of 800 loft down, which makes them much heavier than yours. But the snap at the neck – hum, I am going to think about that idea some more. A nice idea.

Cheers

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Very nice craftsmanship, Shawn. I like the use of silk inside even if it is at the cost of fragility. When taking things to that magical SUL level this is often a sacrifice that needs be made.

mark henley

@flash582

A great looking quilt!

What was your source for the silk?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Shawn

> Silk Liner (0.5mm)
    Ah …. I doubt it! Do you mean 5 momme?

Cheers

David Wills

@willspower3

That is some really nice work. I bet using the snap helps keep the width required to stops drafts down a good bit. I had to convert my momentum/silk/XP quilt to a topbag b/c the drafts were too bad at 42" top width. I'm super jealous of the weight! the silk should hold up fine since you don't have any quilting loops through it. Mine only has a few little holes after a year and a half and im not particularly gentle.

You can get the silk from thaisilks.com. its under habotai. mm is the abbreviation for momme.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

I really like the roomy footbox! Nice touch!

The footbox is not roomy, that's where I made the mistake.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

I don't recall the source for the silk. I lust googled it and ordered from an online company.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Yes that's right. They use an "mm" abrev which leads you to think they are talking about millimeters, but 5mil would be very thick.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

Thanks, I have to give most of the credit to my wife, since she did most of the sewing. The sanp neck closure is a pretty standard detail. The back strap really helps with draft prevention, although 2 would be better, which most quilts have. Turning over in this quilt is not easy, partly because of the texture of the silk, it isn't as slippery as a nylon, so when you try to roll over in the middle of the night, the quilt usually rolls with you, completely opening up your back to the air. Given the intention of this summer bag, it's not really a problem. I intend to make a 0 deg version of this quilt, for this winter, which will have 2 back straps, and much more girth for added clothing, and momentum on the inside as well. I just realized that I incorrectly listed the shoulder girth of my quilt, it is actually 46". The winter version will be more like, 52" with a 37" foot. I figure it will end up at 24oz give or take.

JohnB
    BPL Member

@777zzz

I might want to make one like this. I have a few questions. I don't have experience w/MYOG, so would making a quilt like this be too difficult for me? Is the design complicated? If not, could you give a description? How much of the bag weight is the Climashield? About 5 oz.? Why did you use a silk lining? Because it's more comfortable than the nylon? Thanks for any replies.

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

If you can use a sewing machine, it is pretty easy. It is a trapezoidal design, just like a Nunatak or Cocoon quilt. The width should taper from top to bottom based on your size and preference. You should do some tests with an old bed sheet or you can also measure another quilt for reference. The round foot box is the hardest part to sew, to get the size of the footbox piece you just take the foot-end width you decide on and that is the circumference of the footbox. If you plan to use the quilt with insulating clothing make sure to size it up. The Climashield makes up about 60-65% of the total weight of the quilt. I used the silk because it is the lighter than the nylon momentum. The momentum is far more comfortable and durable than the silk. Good luck.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

would a 32" trapezoidal foot box give more usable space since you could make it taller and not as wide at the base, your size 11s need the height right?

What about like
    ____8___
    ……/
    …./ 9
    -6–

I have been planning a footbox instead of just drawcord closure and was thinking something like this would give better space than just a circle. I would use more like 38" or 40" instead of 32" though.

-Tim

edit-my little pic isn't working out after many tries. I hope you get the idea

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

I get it, but I have never seen anything like that done. An irregular circle would be even better, it would make for a more fluid connection of the quilt body and the footbox. The best way to do it would be making a template around your feet, as they lay in their resting position. The draw back is this design really only works well for someone who always sleeps on their back.

Footbox

If you decide to make a quilt with a design like this I would be interested in seeing how it turns out.

liang kong
    BPL Member

@mcluxun

Locale: Tulsa,OK

does it down proof?
    what's the weight of it?
    thk

Shawn Taylor

@staylor310

No way on the down proof.
    I think 0.5oz per yard, but not sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools