Topic

PCT SECTION FOOD= 10 days 20 lbs.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition PCT SECTION FOOD= 10 days 20 lbs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Current food weight= 14lbs 8oz
    I am on the hunt for NutrisGG, MLD, Golite COMBOous,Calorie Dence Cereal
    Jurky
    Candies
    Korn Chips
    Tortillas
    Bagels

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

MY BAD!!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And here I thought I was going to see a photo of food ;-) Nice tent though!

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Jay,

My wife and I brought the following food for a planned 5-day, 4-night Rae Lakes Loop, then we did the loop in 2.5 days. Except for the food we ate the first day, I was able to fit all of it in a single BearVault.

breakfast:
    oatmeal premixed with powdered milk, brown sugar, 25 raisins, and salt

lunch:
    flatbread with peanut butter/jam and Ovaltine premixed with powdered milk

dinner:
    chili mac (pasta, vegi chili mix, refried bean mix, olive oil, salt, Tabasco)

snacks:
    peanut M&M's, honey sesame sticks, Good & Plenty, pepperoni sticks, & Gatorade

According to my food spreadsheet this would provide 2626 calories per day and weigh 1.4 pounds per person per day. The actual weight was closer to 1.7 pounds per day; I guess the nutritional information on the food packaging isn't that accurate.

food

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Casey, what type of flatbread is that and where did you get it?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

14 lbs 8 oz. More to go

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

14 lbs 8 oz.PCT FOOD

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

I really need a computer coach!! Anyways there it is-so far! I am at 14 lbs 8 oz. and I am on the hunt for good cereal, jerky, torrtilas, bagels, candies and magical crunchy, salty, cheezey, crackers!! Can I actually do just 2 lbs aday? I hope?-one good way to loose weight.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ummmm Jay, that looks like alot of food already. How many days are you guys going out????

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

Jay,

Recommended 1.5 – 2 lbs of food per day. YMMV. Find foods that have high calorie, low weight ratio. Get a scale, read labels, measure and calculate.

Check out this resource:

http://www.newmarque.com/backpacking/introduction.htm

Since we are sharing prehike food prep photos, here is my food collection for a 7 day JMT section H of the PCT in 3 weeks.

JMT Food

My basic PCT section menu:

Breakfast:

A variety of muesli with honey, powdered milk, nuts, dried fruits, or coconut.
    Cocoa powder or Spiced Apple drink

Lunch:

A base of humus with black bean flakes, dehydrated tomatoes, green veggie powder, or dehydrated salsa.
    Cut the corner of the zip lock bag and squeeze onto two halves of a Trader Joes
    pita bread (fits flat in a canister) or dip with dehydrated persimmon or zucchini chips, Rye Crackers.
    String cheese

3 course dinners:

1. Soup: Black bean or green pea flakes, or miso

2. Entree: A base of organic potato flakes with dehydrated salsa, refried beans, green veggie mixture, chicken or tuna. Add spices, hot sauce, or olive oil to increase taste factor/calories.

3: Dessert: Vanilla pudding with powdered milk, ground up nuts, chocolate chips, or coconut.

1 oz of dark chocolate

Snacks

Nuts
    Dates
    Dried bananas
    Homemade “Lara Bars”
    Pro Bars

Electrolytes
    Various Emergen-C and Trader Joe flavors

It all fits into a Bearikade Weekender (660 cu in) :) The secret: As Casey’s photo shows: repackage each item and label with instructions. why carry the extra air volume?

I follow Sarah’s freezer bag technique: individually bag each meal in a ziplock, add water and rehydrate.

On my JMT trip I am going “no stove cooking”, and will use modified cooking techniques such as delayed rehydration and “body heat”. See previous BPL thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7987/index.html

It all boils down to: “ When the weight goes down, the fun goes up”. (Warner Springs Monty – PCT hiker)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Ken,

It's Middle Eastern Flatbread from Trader Joe's.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken, We will be at out ten days. I need another 5 to 6 lbs of food.
    My base weight is at 16 lbs. w/ 20 lbs of food I will be at 36 lbs- sorry w/a full platypus and I will closer to a even 40 lbs on day one. I am sure I will eat threw the weight very quickly. We are hoping to catch some trout to get our protein requirements.

I will bring:
    MaryJanesFarms EcoPouches
    Mounatain House Pro-Paks
    Tuna & Salmon Packets
    pro bars
    cliff bars
    hammer bars
    snickers bars
    butterfingers
    ritter sports bars
    sport beans
    GU's
    GU20's
    Gatorade packets
    organic wheat grass packets
    carnation instant breakfast packets
    milkman instant dry milk
    Hit cookies
    Ritz cracker
    cashews
    almonds
    macadamiums
    java juice
    hot coco
    skippy pb packets
    honey
    Need: tortillas,bagels kornchip, pringles,jerky,cereal
    Single-malt scotch!
    ANY SUGGESTIONS???:

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

too bad I am not hiking with you guys, I could have done a re-fill for single malt scotch for free at Sonora Pass-I sell wine and spirits. Jay, bagels might be a bit much in the size side of things. I would stick with flatbread, pitas or tortilla's.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sorry Jay, not trying to hijack your post.

Thanks Casey, I will check those out!

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

Jay,

Just curious as to which PCT section you are doing? If you don't need to protect your food with a bear canister than the amount of food you carry is a personal preference. HYOH.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Paul, Yes- I do need a canister I have a 900ci Bearakade. We are starting in Tuolumne Meadows heading JULY 11th north to Ebbitts Pass. 110 miles of pure JOY. I also think I will bring:
    dried mangos,cherries, blueberries,raisins and tomatoes,
    pumpkin and sunflower seeds, sesame stix and peanut m&m
    All in 3 oz portions

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jay

That's an awful lot of packaging there on the table. I bulk bag stuff like muesli, powdered milk, and so on, and only use the sealed packages on a few commercial items. Save a lot of weight that way.

Daily food allowance if you are serious about weight – 700 g or 25 oz.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Daily food allowance if you are serious about weight – 700 g or 25 oz."
    Or even less if you're really serious, say 580 g, or ~21 oz, if you're willing to bulk up beforehand and "live off the fat of the land" by carrying about 50% of that 21 oz as carbs. I can't vouch for this approach on trips over 11 days(my personal limit so far using this approach).

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Thanks for the feed back. I am 12 days out and will REFINE and REPACKAGE the day before the hike. I will put all freeze dried in smaller zip lock bags ETC, ETC,. I should save alot of weight just on packageing alone. I personaly need alot of food to hike 110 miles. This is a hike with no resuply-straight thru.I would rather have a little food left over VS. none-hungry. I am praying for some great Sierra Trout.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Daily weight would depend on what you are carrying and how dense the food is. With careful rationing and adding in fat heavy things like coconut cream powder to meals (and less packaging) you could be carrying 1 1/2 lbs a day with no issues.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Or even less if you're really serious,
    Well, yes, true.
    I know one (Australian) guy who carries about 300 g of food per day – mainly salami sausage (50% fat!) and blocks of cheese. When challenged, he admitted that he normally lost about 500 g of body fat per day!

I don't think I would last very long that way. :-)

Cheers

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Paul, just saying thanks for some great healthy food ideas.
    -Rick

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

>> > Or even less if you're really serious,
    Well, yes, true.
    I know one (Australian) guy who carries about 300 g of food per day – mainly salami sausage (50% fat!) and blocks of cheese. When challenged, he admitted that he normally lost about 500 g of body fat per day!

In Ukraine/Russia the mountaineering standard is about 500-600 grams of food per day, with about 2500-3000 calories. Lots of fatty foods such as pig lard.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Deleted by Greg – redundant, after reading from the top…

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Hi Jay,

It's official, I can't join your trip. Let me know if your up for an Arroyo Seco adventure this year (leave Bay Area Friday after work, back Sunday night).

However, for your food consideration, when I went from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows in 2.5 days in August of 2006 I brought the following food.

food

Calories, Ounces, Unit, Item
    360, 3.4, 1 packet, Milkman powdered milk
    440, 4.1, 1 packet, Milkman plus 4 tablespoons Ovaltine
    140, 1.3, 1 bar, Trader Joe's (TJ's) Blueberry
    140, 1.2, 1 bar, TJ's Chocolate Chip Granola
    280, 2.1, 1 bar, Snickers
    400, 2.5, 1.5 cups, Frito Lay Corn Chips
    130, 1.4, 2 tablespoons, Good and Plenty Candy
    220, 1.5, 0.25 cups, Peanut M&M's
    170, 1.0, 0.25 cups, TJ's Roasted and Salted Almonds

2280, 18.4; total calories and ounces per my food spreadsheet.

However when I actually weighed all of the items the total was 20.5 ounces per day, including the packaging you see in the photo. Some, but not all, of the extra weight can be attributed to using "heaping" 1/4 cups of M&M's and almonds.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools