Topic

Converting to lightweight and looking for suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Converting to lightweight and looking for suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

Locale: Newfoundland

Hi everyone,

I'm converting to a lighter weight kit, mostly because I'm fed up with carrying heavy loads (when I take people out I'm generally the one that ends up carrying most of everything).

Specifics: I live in Newfoundland, Canada and so it can get pretty chilly and nasty out. I'm 6 feet and 75kg (165lb). I've been researching what I can change and which changes would be best. So far, here is what I have:

Kelty Mantra 3 Tent – 2.665kg
    ArcTeryx Bora 80 (Tall) – 3.2kg
    MEC Gryphon -7 Bag – 2.2kg
    MSR Dragonfly Stove – 0.4kg
    MSR Stowaway Pot (1.6L) – 0.55kg
    Thermarest Prolite3 Short – 0.37kg
    MSR Miniworks EX filter – 0.455kg
    Custom first aid kit – 0.5kg
    Victorinox Swisstool – 0.4kg

And these are the changes I was thinking about:
    Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 – 1.5kg
    GoLite Jam2 – 0.62kg
    WM Summerlite (regular) – 0.525kg
    Maybe MSR Simmerlite – 0.24kg
    MSR Titan 2L – 0.227kg
    Same pad
    Possibly a MSR Hyperflow – 0.209kg
    Adventure Medical UL .7 – 0.226kg
    Leatherman Micra – 0.048kg

I'm split on a couple of items, namely the GoLite Jam2 versus something like a DryComp Summit Sack, whether the simmerlite is worth it, whether the hyperflow is worth it.

Any suggestions, comments or other help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to pick items regardless of cost. If they cost too much I'll just get them later. My goal is to get things that work well and not to skimp out. I'd rather be stuck with a heavy item I currently have than waste money on something I will just want to upgrade later.

EDIT: I forgot to mention also that I am not willing to go to esbit tabs (too long to cook a substantial meal) or canister stoves (canisters are way too wasteful = bad for the environment).

P.S. – If Ryan or other staff are reading this, a preview button for thread creation would be nice, as I have no way to figure out how this is going to look. I know I can always edit later but…

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I would suggest using the GoLite Pinnacle over the Jam to start as a pack. I made the same conversion over the last two or three years and have both packs. It takes a while to make up your mind on some of these items. The Jam isn't very acomodating for a tent. The old fasion "just hook it to the outside" doesn't work so well with these packs. Everything should fit on the inside for a stable load. Otherwise the frameless packs don't work as well. The Pinnacle also has some nice features as you lighten up.

It is great you use the pad you do because that will help stiffen your pack if you use it as a liner. I also have had no problems with pads on the outside. The tents I have tried have just been too heavy.

I invested in a Gortex Bivy set that can handle temperatures to -30F. The weight is up there (2.3 pounds) for the bivy. But it really speeds up my set up and trips and if I feel I have to use a tarp I have a poncho tarp. My 2 boys (9 and 12) have been bivy camping with me now and love it.

Look at everything again and again. You will go lighter and lighter.

Have fun. It is addicting.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Is the SL2 going to be for two people? My wife and I tried one on and it was just a little tooooo small for the both of us. We decided on the SL3 instead. That said it is a great tent! As for both the MSR Simmerlite, and Hyperflow….I use the Simmerlite for snow camping only. In the summer I use either a Snow Peak Gigapower cannister stove or one of my alcohol stoves. I am sure many on here can make reccomendations on those. As for water treatment? That is a matter of choice. I use a Steripen with a pre-filter. I have heard that the Hyperflow is not all that. And looking over your list, why have a 2l kettle? If this is just for you, then use a small titanium mug with a lid. If no lid comes with the mug, then use tin foil instead, they work just fine and weigh virtually nothing. Hope these suggestions help. Have fun with your addiction!

René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

I've actually been thinking about the 2L pot for a while. I'd love to use the 1L one, but you can't get it by itself, I'd have to buy the set, which is kind of dumb. The other option would be to get the .8L kettle, but that's getting a bit small if I want to cook for two or, sometimes, three. Maybe the Firelite SUL-900 would be a good choice? I don't think two Trapper's Mugs would work as I like to cook actual meals when backpacking (not sure if the Firelite 550 could be used to make pasta puttanesca…).

(I know, that means I carry a lot of unnecessary weight and all, but I'm part French, I can't help it, I love food!)

As for the tent, I usually hike with my girlfriend, so it's good to know that the SL2 is tight. If it's a bit tight that's ok, but I'll need to make sure its not TOO tight. I'll have a look at the SL3. Any other recommendations for light, double-walled 3-season 2-person tents? Tarps and bivys are, for all intents and purposes, out of the question.

Water filtration in my area is also kind of important. We have very little springs in the area and most water we get comes from lakes and tributaries, so it's important to filter. The last thing we want is to get sick on the trail. :)

EDIT: I looked and the Pinnacle and feel it probably is a better fit. While it is a heck of a lot bigger in terms of volume, it will allow me to be more versatile in the end, all for 90g more: worth it in my book. Thanks Jason!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I would also suggest the Golite Pinnacle, it is comfortable, light, and well made. I use mine on trips in which high volume but low weight are the key aspects of the trip.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

If I am hiking with friends or solo, then I use a small mug. If I am with my wife then we too use a 2 liter pot. As for the tent, the SL2 is a TIGHT squeeze. The SL3 is sooo much more roomier and with not that much of a weight penalty. If you want you should check out Henry Shires Tarp Tents. Wonderful products that weigh in at around 2 lbs for a two person tarptent. Also check out ULA backpacks. They're awesome.

René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

My main problem with my current tent (other than its shear weight) is the fact that since it has no high vent, it can create a fair bit of condensation. It has been brought to my attention that the Seedhouse SL series has a similar, albeit less pronounced, problem. I'm wondering if I have any other options in terms of 3-season double wall tents.

I just noticed the Hubba Hubba HP, which is 3lb 11oz, but I'm not certain of the high vent / condensation situation either. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has actually used one of these.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools