Topic

Dining Fly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Dining Fly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

We are taking our own 10'x12 Silnylon tarp, ropes and stakes. I am wondering what methods work out there. I have heard that some use trekking poles but that is about a 50" ridge height.

Some velcro 2 poles together (how I don't know).

Others take their own poles (what kind?)

Others may use Philmont's poles (too heavy?)

Any thoughts?

Scott

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Some velcro 2 poles together (how I don't know).

Take a look at BD's Pole Coupler

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

We just got back from our trek last night. We used a Silnylon fly and just tied it to trees. We had some treking poles and velcro straps that we were prepared to use but just never used them. We did not take the Philmont poles.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

May 15th, BWCA, 10 days, 8 campsites, rainy, 50°F cool, comfortable.
    This is a homebrew 10×12 silnylon tarp.

Tarp3

We search out dead, dry, slim poles about 5' long from the surrounding woods. We have never had to cut anything. If you look, they are there.

We stake down two corners (parallel to the ridge seam) to take advantage of trees to be used for the 'pull-outs' located the ridge seam, edges, and middle.

Then we run lines from the ends of the ridge seam to outlying trees, creating a back wall with about a 80° slope.

Next we run line from a corner pull-out, to a pole, then to stakes, trees, or rocks, to create the roof pitch.

Last, we fine-tune to create volume and taughtness, using whatever pullouts are in the right place. The wrinkles on the back wall indicate where the ridge is pulled up and out to the tree behind. You need to have a consistently sloping roof to avoid collecting a 5 gallon puddle. And if you can get it to slope towards the back wall or to one side you won't create a mud puddle in the front.

We are frequently able to do this without front poles by running lines to convenient trees. This is were imagination and experience can really reduce setup time.

This pitch is fairly open as we are well sheltered by the woods. If necessary, a very low and tight pitch can be accomplished by angling the poles.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

We're going with an Oware 10 x 10 Pyramid, 1 center pole (2 hiking poles velcro'd) and 7 stakes. We'll see how it goes.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Nice ideas and examples.

Someone said that Philmont does not let you tie to trees. Did I hear wrong. Seems so logical to do so.

We don't have that many with hiking poles and mine will be used for my tent as will another adult (this will be my first trek with poles instead of carbon fiber tent poles). The BD velcro seems nice.

Keep the ideas coming!

I JUST HAD AN AHA MOMENT.

I have a pair of Leki backcountry ski poles that I literally have used for the last 24 years. I am not sure if it is the same with all Leki poles, however, these poles can be attached end to end to make a pole that can get up to 8' in height. The grips come off and you just screw one end to the other. They are a bit heavy but I am going to try them out this weekend.

Does anyone know if this is standard on all of their ski pokes?

paul buzzard

@troop208

We have been practicing for Philmont and the fly issue has now been fixed. Here's how I figured it out. We want the fly to be tall enough in a rain event for a stand in shelter. We bought a 12'x 12' sil nylon one. So we velcroed poles together, with the pointed ends out, handle to handle velcros, 3 for each pole set up. Can adjust to whatever height you want. But in a windy situation, the velcro wasn't strong enough. So I cut some old bike tire innertube into about a 1.5 inch wide strip, and with the velcro, strech wrap the tube around both handles. It will now hold in serious wind. We also have two of these set ups for the one end. So if we want, our fly can be 8' high in the middle, sloping to the ground on one end, then sloping to 6' on the other. Works great, very little weight, poles are very strong. At night, we can lower it down to one pole height in a couple of minutes.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Paul,

Could you explain how you used the inner tube? Did you just stretch the section of innertube over the trekking poles at the handles and then velcro on top of that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Scott

paul buzzard

@troop208

Scott,

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I slit an inner tube lengthwise around the whole tube, then cut the tube to about 1.5", ending up with a strip of rubber about 2 feet long. 1" would likely work. The assembly is to use the 3 pieces of velcro to get the poles together. Then the rubber innertube is wrapped around the poles, strectching and overlapping the rubber as it is wound on the poles. You want to do the wrapping at one pole end and work toward the other pole end that is in the middle, if you get my description, until your are done. Very strong joint that way, and totally adustable up and down easily. Free as well, always good. Really, you could use some bungies, but this was easy and really stuck the poles together.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

That makes sense. I guess you just wrapped it and finished the wrap like you would hold nylon straps together. I'll try it on our hike tonight.

I am using my Leki poles that actually couple together. I'm thinking the extra wrap may make them stronger.

Scott

Jeff S

@jds43

A simple method to combine two trekking poles for greater height:

Equipment needed: 1 pair of trekking poles, one 3' lenght of parachute or 3mm cord

1 – Invert one pole.
    2 – Slip each pole through the other's wrist strap.
    3 – tie a 3' piece of parachute cord to one wriststrap using a bowline knot
    4 – thread the cord through the other wrist strap and tie a taughtline hitch to itself

You now have a simple, adjustable setup that allows you to adjust your poles from 3' – 5' in height.

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

Finding a solution for supporting my Oware Pyramid for sleeping 4 people, I was able to use a 3' piece of 1/8" nylon cord and my 2 treking poles. I removed the baskets and laid the poles tip to tip overlapping about a foot. With a small bowline tied on one end slip that end over one tip. Then tie a series of overhand knots around both poles lacing the 2 poles together. Finish this with another small bowline loop or a clove hitch sliped over the other tip. The line will tighten up as pressure is aplied to the outside ends of the poles.This is certainly simple, lightweight and durable enough to be almost "Boy Scout proof". Once the boys learned how to do this, they took care of it the rest of our trek.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I overlap the poles handle to handle and interconnect the straps with a line tensioner (Dipsy Diver Snubber), then wrap the two poles together, using 2" wide industrial Velcro. It'll hold!

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

My way eliminates the extra cord.
    1. slip through loops
    2. cinch
    3. tie tails
    poles connected 1poles connected 2poles connected 3

An inappropriate mascot slipped into the frame. At 20lbs., this cat is well over many members' starting pack weight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools