Topic

Bushbuddy design details

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bushbuddy design details

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I've been working on making a wood stove similar to the bushbuddy. Like others on the forum, I've found a very easy way to connect an inverted pint sized paint can with a quart sized paint can. I"m ready to punch the holes in both the external and internal walls but was curious as to how many holes and their dimensions, the bushbuddy has on its external and internal walls. I'm sure there is a necessary outside wall:inside wall ratio that works best. So for you folks with a bushbuddy could you please let me know the number and size of the internal and external wall holes in your stove. Thanks!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

buehler? buehler? anyone? anyone?

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

i don't own one, but i have built a lot of wood stoves with the same theme. i use a ratio of 4-1 or 5-1 for air inlet holes. 4 on top to 1 in the bottom. the idea is to retard the flow of air in the bottom so that you get plenty of o2 up top for secondary combustion. cuts down on soot and keeps those long flames from getting too crazy. experiment. add a few holes. burn it. add a few more. burn it. just remember how easy it is to add holes, and how hard it is to fill them! good luck

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Hey Chris – Thanks for the advice. Adding holes on the bottom won't be a problem. It the inside top holes that would be tough to add "post hoc". Are the holes you add the same size for the inner wall and outer wall? I believe that I've read about using a 4:1 ratio (inner:outer) in one of the technical primers on these types of stoves. I'd be curious as to if the folks at bushbuddy use the same approach. Hence my request for the hole number and diameter of the bushbuddy setup. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools