Topic

Who pays for Search and Rescue operations for JMT hikers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Who pays for Search and Rescue operations for JMT hikers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Everyday people go bankrupt for madical bills from accidents.
    Is it right? No. Hiking in the wilderness, just like driving
    to work, has its financial risks as well as health risks.

Talking about going to court over hurting yourself in a recreational activity when people come to your aid and
    without negligence bothers me.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

David, again, you misread me. I'm not a novelist so my sentences are not 100% clear sometimes. I never meant to say I'd take someone to court. It is just that if anyone took me to court because, my defense would be the truth. I hope nobody considers the truth to be offensive if used in the defense.

In any event, thanks to pursuing this topic and getting everybody's feedback, a simple solution was found — American Express Travel Insurance that is very affordable.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

You might also look at the SPOT as it does let you have other
    methods of communication that doesn't bring a full emergency
    response.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

It's cheaper for me to spend $30 to get the Travel Insurance and use the PLB (only in a dire emergency again) than buy SPOT. Also, the PLB uses a more reliable communication mechanism, especially after reading the SPOT reviews here. I figure for non-emergency situations where SPOT might be nice, that such situations can be considered nice but not essential. For some, obviously, SPOT might work.

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I've been on SAR's for the National park, at that time the cost came out of the "special projects" budget fund. So, if there were too many lost hikers someone just didn't get their building or whatever special thing that fiscal year.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools