Topic

hand sanitizer as fuel for alcohol stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hand sanitizer as fuel for alcohol stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

anyone tried it? is it safe? toxic?

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Haven't tried with alcohol stoves, but a few drops on an Esbit fuel cube makes the hard to light solid fuel all of a sudden easy. You can then simply use a Spark-Lite to light. No more messing with lighters that don't want to work…especially at altitude and wind.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

john, you are brillant! i never thought to use a drop on my fuel tabs. they frustrate the heck out of me when they won't light right away..thanks for the tip. i find the fuel tabs are alot lighter in weight than starting out with a bottle of alcohol.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

thats a good idea. Also, compared with 62% ethanol esbit will be much more efficient.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Alcohol hand sanitizer does burn fairly well. I doesn't burn completely and it sputters a little, perhaps because of the moisturizers and what not. It does work great for starting solid fuel tablets. It's my understanding that hand sanitizer is very similar to Sterno and the gelled alcohol use to warm chaffing dishes.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I think brands vary. I tried it and it didn't light well.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Victoria, I would love to take credit for the idea, but I actually learned the trick on one of the great posts on this website. One of those "duh, why didn't I think of that?" type of things.
    Here's a question…can you use the denatured alcohol from your stove for hand sanitizer? Probably not much worse than using regular hand sanitizer.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

john, i would think the denatured alcohol would be extremely drying on the hands, plus on the can it states that it cannot have prolonged contact with skin, so probally not a good idea..it is concidered a poison..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools