Topic

Merino Wool Underwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merino Wool Underwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    elaie elaie

@elaielaios

Locale: Canada

Because most places are squeamish about returning underwear, how have you guys found them? Do they itch, do they work just as well as a merino wool shirt? What is your opinion of them? Or do you think polyester/nylon/something else underwear is better? This is about normal underwear, not long johns.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Like wool shirts, the underwear isn't itchy. The comfort depends on the specific underwear.

My recommendation is Ibex's Seamless Boxers. They are the most comfortable ones I've worn. They stay comfortably snug for days at a time. I'm not sure about the durability yet.

Icebreaker's stuff is OK, but the legs on the boxers stretch out while you wear them, so they are nice when I first put them on, but a bit loose by the end of the day. That's the 200 g/m2 ones, I didn't like the fit on the 150 g/m2 ones. Ibex's Roasters are good for cool weather, but are far too warm for summer.

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

"Icebreaker's stuff is OK, but the legs on the boxers stretch out while you wear them, so they are nice when I first put them on, but a bit loose by the end of the day. "

I would describe the Smartwool Microweight Boxer Briefs (the only merino underwear I've tried) in exactly the same words.

The best boxer briefs I've ever worn, and best by a long shot, are made by ExOfficio. They're not merino, but they're great.

http://www.rei.com/product/694431

Of course, YMMV.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I would agree with Robert. The Ibex underwear is great! I wear the briefs as opposed to the boxers. They hold their shape, don't itch and manage moisture and odors well. I've been wearing the Breezer briefs for years with no durability issues. The Balance briefs are new and lighter weight so I don't yet know how they will hold up. The way they stretch and the almost total lack of seams is amazing. There is one very small seam. They weight 1.7oz (50g) in size large.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

My comments are identical to Eric Noble's last paragraph, I have both types of Ibex briefs. By end of summer, I should have better assessment of durability of the lighter Ibex Balance Briefs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools