Topic

Gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Gaiters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy some

@andrei-bouzo

Locale: Finland |

I rip my shirt while climbing. Before throwing the shirt in trash i cut off the sleeves and made ultralight/strechy gaiters. Hardest part was sewing the pastic hooks :)

sorry, my English is not so good. :)

Gaiters from old baselayer shirt

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

I did the same with a pair of damaged tights. How did you attach the gaiter at the heel? I wound up modifying my shoes at the rear and on both sides to accept small hooks.

This is a really great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Your English is OK. And your idea is terrific.

Andy some

@andrei-bouzo

Locale: Finland |

Gater stays good on the heel by itself, without any hooks, because material is not very slippery and pull-loop on the shoe also help gater to stay on.

ps. i'm very very happy to hear that my english is ok :).

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

Your English is great. Try and see how many of us can learn Finnish. For English speakers, Finnish is probably the hardest.

Great idea on the gaiters. I was trying to decide how to make some for my son, and didn't consider using an old shirt.

Dave T

@davet

Kristoffer Stromberg

@kstrombe

Locale: Central California Coast

The basic idea is similar to a product called "dirty girl gaiters" I got a sewing machine before my PCT thru and made 3 pairs, which all were thoroughly worn out. I used spandex from a fabric store. For the rear atttachment, superglue some velcro to the (very clean) heel of your shoe. Sew the other velcro onto the rear of your gaiters (dont use velcro with an adhesive backing in your sewing machine!). I've found putting the loops on the shoe is better as it picks up less debris. This attachment will keep the gaiters on even as you posthole down the north side of glen pass.

Wasa

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Don't drop your cigarette butts on the ground!

;-)

Nice idea for gaiters.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Deleted

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools